This fried ice cream cake is an easy but decadent frozen dessert. You will love the sweet and crunchy corn flake topping!
Fried Ice Cream Cake
This fried ice cream cake [ice]screams summer! You are going to love all the flavors and textures going on here. It’s cold and sweet with a perfectly crunchy topping and bursting with churro flavor. If you are looking for the perfect summertime dessert to take to your next potluck, your search is over.
No-Fry Fried Ice Cream
I am a huge fan of fried ice cream, but I also love being able to cheat and make “non-fried” versions that taste just as good. I love how this recipe can make enough for a crowd and you don’t have to fry individual balls of ice cream. It takes very little prep and clean up is a breeze (no messing with frying oil). It’s an overall win-win!
The Sweet, Crunchy, “Fried” Topping
For this recipe we use a Corn Flakes topping but you can easily swap it out with a different kind of cereal. Try it with Rice Krispies, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Frosted Flakes, Cinnamon Frosted Flakes, or Honey Bunches of Oats.
You can make all kinds of creative variations when it comes to ice cream cake. Here are a couple of our favorites:
Cinnamon Churro Fried Ice Cream
If you love churros as much as we do, you need to try this Cinnamon Churro Fried Ice Cream variation. The thing that puts this dessert over the top is the churro ice cream. We found some Cinnamon Churro ice cream at our local Albertsons store. It is a cinnamon churro ice cream with a honey bun swirl and actual churro pieces. Now imagine that with crunchy fried cinnamon-sugar layers and you have churro fried ice cream. YUM! For this recipe, just simply swap out the vanilla ice cream for churro ice cream.
Raspberry Fried Ice Cream Cake
Our Raspberry Fried Ice Cream Cake is a fruity twist on this traditional ice cream cake. You can use raspberry, huckleberry, blackberry, or any kind of fruity berry ice cream for this recipe. We also use cinnamon Frosted Flakes for this recipe take make it even easier. Give it a try!
What’s in Fried Ice Cream Cake?
- Ice cream – We usually opt for vanilla. We like using vanilla bean because of the flavor but French vanilla still tastes great. You can also use a cinnamon swirl ice cream or churro ice cream.
- Corn Flakes cereal – This is what makes the crunchy topping, well… crunchy!
- Butter & Sugar – Butter and sugar hold the crunchy topping together so it doesn’t just crumble and flake off the ice cream.
- Cinnamon – Cinnamon rounds out the flavor and makes
- Toppings: Whipped cream, chocolate fudge sauce, caramel, honey, and/or maraschino cherries
How To Make Fried Ice Cream Cake
- Melt butter and sugar together in a large skillet (nonstick works best) over medium heat
- Add cornflakes (or cereal of choice) and stir well to combine
- Put half of the cereal mixture on the bottom of a bakingdish
- Spread softened vanilla ice cream over the top
- Spread remaining Corn Flake mixture over the ice cream
- Place in the freezer and freeze for 6+ hours or until completely frozen.
- Cut into squares and serve with optional whipped cream, cinnamon and sugar, and cherries. Drizzle with chocolate sauce and/or caramel topping.
More delicious frozen summertime treats
- Ice Cream Cookie Sandwiches
- Pink Lemonade Ice Cream Pie
- Grasshopper Pie
- Raspberry Almond Fudge Ice Cream Cake
Fried Ice Cream Cake
- Soften ice cream in the refrigerator. In a mediun-sized sauce pan, combine butter and sugar and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 2-3 minutes stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and add crushed corn flakes and cinnamon. Stir gently until all of the crushed cornflakes are covered in the mixture. Place half of the corn flake mixture in a 9×13 glass baking dish and press down evenly along the bottom of the dish.
- Spoon softened ice cream over the top and carefully smooth over with a spatula or knife. Evenly sprinkle the remaining mixture over the top of the ice cream.
- Cover and freeze for 6+ hours or overnight. Cut into serving-sized squares and top with desired toppings.