This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
This Grasshopper Pie is our copycat recipe version of the Mile High Asphalt Pie at Winger’s. Mint chocolate chip ice cream drizzled with salted caramel and sprinkled with cookie crumbs is to die for.
What is Grasshopper Pie?
In case you are worried, this pie does not contain any kind of grasshoppers! But, it might be fun to tell your kids you are having Grasshopper Pie for dessert and watch their reaction. Grasshopper Pie is the BEST frozen pie ever! It starts with a chocolate cookie crust, mint chocolate ice cream filling, warm salted caramel topping, all topped off with some homemade whipped cream. This is a beautiful, Pinterest worthy dessert that looks as good as it tastes.
Grasshopper Pie recipe was inspired by the Mile High Asphalt Pie at Winger’s Restaurant. When I saw it on the menu, I was a tiny bit skeptical about the combination of mint chocolate and salted caramel but let me tell you, it works! The salt brings out all of the flavors so well! I don’t know who came up with the idea of salted caramel, but they should be generously thanked. I love salted caramel and it is truly tasty on mint chocolate ice cream. One bite of this and you’ll think you’ve died and gone to heaven.
Ingredients in Grasshopper Pie
Did you know you can make an entire Grasshopper pie for almost the same cost as one slice of Mile High Asphalt Pie at Winger’s Restaurant? The ingredients are easy to find in your local grocery store.
- Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream: If you want it “mile high” like it is served at the restaurant, go for two cartons of ice cream. For a regular size pie, one carton is plenty. Be sure to use a good quality ice cream. I like to use Dreyer’s Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream or Meadow Gold Mint Chip Ice Cream in this pie. Both are smooth and creamy and have a pretty green color. Some brands of mint chocolate chip ice cream have a very light, almost white, tint to them. Still tasty, but not as pretty. Fix it by adding a little bit of green food coloring to the ice cream to get that bright green color. And if you like more mint flavor, add a teaspoon peppermint extract or some creme de menthe.
- Chocolate Cookie Crust: Save time and buy a pre-made chocolate cookie crust at the grocery store. Or make your own! It’s actually really easy to make a homemade cookie crust. Place Oreos in a plastic resealable bag and use a rolling pin to roll over the Oreos until they are finely crushed. You can also use a food processor to crush up the Oreo cookies. Mix the cookie crumbs with melted butter and pat down into a pie dish. No need to bake! TIP: Pull out a few larger pieces of cookies to use as a garnish on top of the whipped cream.
Salted Caramel Topping Ingredients
Oooooh, this salted caramel is scrumptious! And it’s easy to make! All you need is sugar, butter, heavy cream and sea salt. Cook the sugar over low heat to medium heat in a saucepan until the sugar melts into an amber liquid. Then add the butter and cream. After boiling for one minute, stir in the sea salt. Once it’s cooled, pour over your pie and chill. So good!
A Dollop on Top
For the whipped topping, you can use a tub of your favorite brand from the store, or better yet, make your own! Mix some heavy whipping cream and powdered sugar together using a mixer until stiff peaks form. Then add a dollop to each slice of pie and enjoy!
Make It A Winger’s Meal
If you want to make a whole Winger’s themed dinner, make sure to check out our version of Winger’s Wings with Freakin’ Amazing Sauce or our version of Winger’s Sticky Fingers and Freakin’ Amazing Sauce. They taste exactly like the wings from Winger’s! This is one of the most requested meals at my house, especially on game days. We like to serve them with steak fries and now we serve them with this Winger’s Asphalt Pie for dessert.
- Mix Oreos and melted butter. Stir until combined.
- Press into the bottom of a pie pan.
- Fill pie crust with ice cream. Cover and freeze for at least three hours before serving.
- Heat the sugar in a sauce pan over medium heat, stirring constantly and scraping the bottom. Sugar will melt into an amber liquid. Once it is melted, add the butter. Once the butter is melted, add the cream. Boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in sea salt.
- Mix cream and sugar until it forms stiff peaks.
- Remove pie from freezer. Drizzle caramel topping over each slice and add whipped cream. Enjoy!