Thai Coconut Soup is full of sweet coconut, tangy lime and tender chicken. You’ll love the bursts of sweet and savory flavor in this unique soup.
Thai Coconut Soup
This Thai Coconut Soup really hits the spot during the autumn months. So fresh and flavorful, this chicken soup is not too heavy, not too dense, just the perfect creamy soup with the delicious combination of coconut and lime. It’s easy to make, with roasted chicken from the deli at your grocery store, rice and yummy spices that give this soup a unique flavor.
Spices Needed for Thai Coconut Soup
Before making this recipe, double check to see that you have all the spices needed to give this soup that tropical taste. You probably already have these spices in your pantry, because they’re kitchen staples, which is also what makes this soup so easy to put together. Here’s what you need:
- Cinnamon (gives the soup a warm scent and flavor that can’t be beat)
- Curry Powder (I love the sweet and savory flavor of curry, which gives this dish more depth and brightness)
- Ginger (you can grate fresh ginger into this soup, or use dried ginger. It’s hot and zesty yet sweet and warm with a slightly woodsy flavor)
- Chili Powder (Here’s where you can add extra heat to the soup if you like. It’s aromatic and spicy, so good!)
- Paprika (With its sweet, bright color, it tastes a little like red bell peppers in a powder form)
Suggestions for this Soup Recipe
- Do yourself a favor and get a rotisserie chicken from the deli section of your grocery store. It’s deliciously seasoned and shreds up perfectly for this coconut soup.
- Invest in a really good blender. I love my Blendec blender for soups like this one, which makes it so easy to give the soup a creamy, smooth texture.
- Don’t skip the coconut milk. You can find coconut milk in the refrigerated section of your grocery store. It gives the soup a sweet, coconut flavor that is to die for!
- Any kind of rice will work for this recipe but I especially like using long grain rice. Make sure to cook it separately and add the already cooked rice to the soup.
- Serve this soup along side some homemade fry bread or some sweet coconut bread.
More Thai Recipes to Try
If you love the coconut and lime flavors of this Thai Coconut Soup, try some of our other favorite Thai recipes and serve up a huge feast for your next dinner party!
- Two Minute Thai Peanut Noodles
- Thai Chicken Enchiladas
- Creamy Thai Peanut Dressing
- Thai Chicken Salad Wraps
- Thai Chicken Shewers with Cucumber Yogurt Dipping Sauce
How to Make Thai Coconut Soup
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1 carrot shredded
- thai seasoning see below
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 bunch cilantro fresh
- 15 ounce unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 1/2 lbs deli-roasted chicken from the grocery store, shredded
- 1 cup long grain rice previously cooked
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
- extra cilantro for garnish optional
- lime wedges optional
- Place a large pot on the stove over medium-high heat. Add the butter, carrots, and thai seasoning and cook until carrots become soft.
- In a blender, add chicken broth and cilantro and pulse a few times, then pour contents of blender into the pot.
- Add the coconut milk, shredded deli roasted chicken, rice, juice from the lime, and soy sauce. Bring to a low boil then remove from heat.
- If desired, serve topped with extra cilantro and lime wedges.
- Blendtec Blender
recipe adapted from Better Homes and Gardens