This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
This Roast Beef Sandwich recipe combines deli roast beef, bacon jam, blue cheese, and horseradish cream. This sandwich is an explosion of flavor!
Featured with this recipe
You are going to love this deli-style roast beef sandwich. The flavor combinations are perfectly savory and sweet with a little bit of a bite. I got the idea for this sandwich from a local sandwich shop that used bacon jam with their beef sandwiches. It is a mind-blowing combination I just had to share!
Roast Beef Sandwich Ingredients
With this sandwich, I got a little creative with the toppings but nothing too crazy. The basic ingredients you need to make this roast beef sandwich are:
- Bread – choose your favorite artisan sandwich bread
- Deli Roast Beef – sliced thin
- Provolone cheese slices
- Homemade horseradish mayonnaise
- Bacon jam
- Blue cheese crumbles
More Topping Ideas
Some may prefer more simple toppings when it comes to their sandwiches. Here are some more ideas for some toppings you can add to a roast beef sandwich.
- Sliced red onion
- Banana peppers
- Sliced cucumber
- Roasted red pepper
- Sliced radish
- Cheese (Cheddar, Swiss, Provolone, Havarti, Blue Cheese, Herbed Cream Cheese)
Roast Beef Sandwich Sauce
For this recipe, I used horseradish mayo for the sauce. I love the bite of the horseradish. I like to make my own so I can control the level of heat. If you like it HOT, feel free to double the horseradish or simply leave the mayo out altogether. Top it off with more sauces or condiments to complement your roast beef sandwich.
More Sauce Ideas
- Creamy or plain horseradish
- Bacon jam
- Deli mustard
- Russian Dressing (or Thousand Island)
- Blue Cheese Dressing
- Spicy Aoli Mayo
- Arby’s Sauce (REALLY good on HOT roast beef sandwiches)
Oooh, bacon jam. If you haven’t tried it. Now is the time. So good on crackers, burgers, and this sandwich. It is sweet, savory, and bursting with that delicious bacon flavor. I like to make my bacon jam with a good amount of chopped onion to help absorb the bacon flavor but the onion can be reduced or left out if needed. It only takes a few minutes to make and it will take your sandwich to the next level.
How to Make a Deli-Style Roast Beef Sandwich
Get ready to have an amazingly delicious flavor combination that is out of this world delicious! This is how you put it all together:
- Whisk – In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, horseradish, and green onion. Set aside.
- Layer – Lay bread slices out on a cutting board. Spread the bacon jam on one slice and the horseradish mixture on the other. Sprinkle the blue cheese over the bacon jam slice.
- Toppings – Place the roast beef over the slice with the horseradish spread. Then layer the provolone cheese slices and mixed greens over the other.
- Serve – Carefully “sandwich” the two sides together and slice them in half. Makes one large sandwich that can easily be shared.
“Yummy! My hubby and I loved this sandwich. I’ve made this a few times already and we love it! Can’t wait to make this again!”-Beth
Frequently Asked Questions
Cheese, lettuce, onions, and horseradish cream are always solid, common choices. Take it to the next level and add some bacon jam and blue cheese!
Boar’s Head brand or any specialty deli brand is a good choice. Try to avoid the cheap, pre-packaged stuff. If you are going to make these sandwiches, try to get fresh deli slices. We always get “rare” roast beef slices. They taste better than the brown/gray “well done” slices.
YES! Deli roast beef is perfectly safe to eat cold. Much like deli-sliced turkey and ham, it is cooked first and cooled for slicing. Even if it is labeled as “rare”.
Some popular sliced cheese choices for roast beef sandwiches are Provolone, Swiss, Cheddar, Havarti, Muenster, or Pepper Jack.
Some Like It HOT, Some Like It COLD
Do you like your roast beef sandwich hot or cold? Lucky for you, this sandwich can go either way! If you want to make it hot, use a griddle to heat up the beef and melt the cheese over the top. Add it to your bread and cook it as you would a grilled cheese sandwich. Open it up and add the remaining ingredients and you have yourself an incredible hot roast beef sandwich!
More Beef Sandwich Recipes
Tender and juicy beef layered on specialty bread take any sandwich to the next level. These beef sandwich recipes are to die for and always a family favorite!
Deli Roast Beef Sandwich Recipe
- 2 tablespoons Best Foods Mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons horseradish (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons chopped green onion
- 2 slices bakery artisan sandwich bread (plain or toasted)
- 1/4 cup bacon jam (click for recipe)
- 2 tablespoons blue cheese crumbles
- 1/4 pound deli sliced roast beef
- 2 slices provolone cheese
- 1/2 cup green leaf lettuce or mixed greens
- In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, horseradish, and green onion. Set aside.
- Lay bread slices out on a cutting board. Spread the bacon jam on one slice and the horseradish mixture on the other. Sprinkle the blue cheese over the bacon jam slice.
- Place the roast beef over the slice with the horseradish spread. Then layer the provolone cheese slices and mixed greens over the other.
- Carefully "sandwich" the two sides together and slice them in half. Makes one large sandwich that can easily be shared.
Love this recipe?
We want to hear from you! Please leave a review.