This Roast Beef Sandwich is loaded with deli roast beef, bacon jam, blue cheese, and horseradish cream making it an explosion of flavor!
Serve this delicious sandwich for lunch along with any of our tasty side dishes, including these crispy air fryer French fries or our famous homestyle potato salad!
Deli-Style Roast Beef Sandwich
You are going to love this deli-style roast beef sandwich. The flavor combinations are perfectly savory and sweet with a little bit of bite. I got the idea for this sandwich from a local sandwich shop that used bacon jam with their beef sandwiches. Though I enjoyed the sweet, I thought that adding some horseradish cream (in my opinion, a MUST with roast beef) and some blue cheese would balance out the flavors a little better. Trust me, it’s a winning combination!
Roast Beef Sandwich Toppings
With this sandwich, I got a little creative with the toppings but nothing too crazy. Some may prefer more simple toppings when it comes to their sandwiches. Here are some more ideas for some toppings you can add to a roast beef sandwich:
- Sliced red onion
- Banana peppers
- Sliced cucumber
- Roasted red pepper
- Sliced radish
- Cheese (Cheddar, Swiss, Provolone, Havarti, Blue Cheese, Herbed Cream Cheese)
Roast Beef Sandwich Sauce
For this recipe I used a horseradish mayo for the sauce. I love the bite of the horseradish. I like to make my own so I can control the level of heat. For this recipe I actually use a bit less horseradish than how I make my own so if you like it HOT, like me, feel free to double the horseradish or simply leave the mayo out altogether. Here are some more ideas for sauces or condiments to complement your roast beef sandwich:
- Creamy or plain horseradish
- Bacon jam
- Deli mustard
- Russian Dressing (or Thousand Island)
- Blue Cheese Dressing
- Spicy Aoli Mayo
- Arby’s Sauce (REALLY good on HOT roast beef sandwiches)
Oooh bacon jam. If you haven’t tried it. Now is the time. So good on crackers, burgers, and this sandwich. It is sweet, savory, and bursting with that delicious bacon flavor. I like to make my bacon jam with a good amount of chopped onion to help absorb the bacon flavor but the onion can be reduced or left out if needed. It only takes a few minutes to make and it will take your sandwich to the next level. Get the recipe HERE.
Some Like It HOT, Some Like It COLD
Do you like your roast beef sandwich hot or cold? Lucky for you, this sandwich can go either way! If you want to make it hot, use a griddle to heat up the beef and melt the cheese over the top. Add it to your bread and cook as you would a grilled cheese sandwich. Open it up and add the remaining ingredients and you have yourself an incredible hot roast beef sandwich!
Cheese, lettuce, onions and horseradish cream are always a solid, common choice. Take it to the next level and add some bacon jam and blue cheese!
Boar’s Head brand or any specialty deli brand is a good choice. Try to avoid the cheap, pre-packaged stuff. If you are going to make these sandwiches, try to get fresh deli slices. We always get “rare” roast beef slices. They taste better than the brown/gray “well done” slices.
YES! Deli roast beef is perfectly safe to eat cold. Much like deli-sliced turkey and ham, it is cooked first and cooled for slicing. Even if it is labeled as “rare”.
Some popular sliced cheese choices for roast beef sandwiches are Provolone, Swiss, Cheddar, Havarti, Muenster, or Pepper Jack.
More Beef Sandwich Recipes
- Mushroom Swiss Roast Beef Sliders – These Mushroom Swiss Roast Beef Sliders make the perfect appetizer! Tender beef with a tangy blue cheese horseradish sauce, these are to die for!
- Italian Beef Sandwich – This Italian Beef Sandwich is tender and full of flavor. Tender beef, slow cooked in savory juices paired with spicy fixings make a savory melt in your mouth meal!
- French Dip Subs – This French dip sandwich with au jus is incredibly easy to make. With two layers of gooey melted cheese, flavorful Italian roast beef, a toasted bun and savory au jus for dipping, you will recreate this French dip sandwich recipe again and again.
- Corned Beef Sandwich – This Corned Beef Sandwich is a really tasty Irish sandwich, especially when they are made with our homemade Russian dressing! Just one bite and your luck will change for the better!
Deli Roast Beef Sandwich
- 2 tablespoons Best Foods Mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons horseradish (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons chopped green onion
- 2 slices bakery artisan sandwich bread (plain or toasted)
- 1/4 cup bacon jam (click for recipe)
- 2 tablespoons blue cheese crumbles
- 1/4 pound deli sliced roast beef
- 2 slices provolone cheese
- 1/2 cup green leaf lettuce or mixed greens
- In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, horseradish, and green onion. Set aside.
- Lay bread slices out on a cutting board. Spread the bacon jam on one slice and the horseradish mixture on the other. Sprinkle the blue cheese over the bacon jam slice.
- Place the roast beef over the slice with the horseradish spread. Then layer the provolone cheese slices and mixed greens over the other.
- Carefully "sandwich" the two sides together and slice in half. Makes one large sandiwch that can easily be shared.