This Homemade Russian Dressing is the best I have ever had. It is creamy, tangy, and way better than anything you can find in a store!
This Homemade Russian Dressing is the best I have ever had. It is so much better making this dressing from scratch. Bottled dressing from the grocery store just can’t compete.
What is Russian Dressing?
Russian Dressing is a creamy, savory, mayonnaise-based dressing with a spicy kick. It is most well-known as a dressing on a Reuben or Corned Beef Sandwich. According to several sources, including CNN, Russian Dressing originated in New Hampshire, not Russia. The dressing was invented by a grocer by the name of James E. Colburn. He created it as a spread and sold it to retailers and hotels throughout the United States. He was not Russian, but it is said he liked to use the dressing on a Russian salad, giving it the name “Russian” dressing.
Tips for Making Russian Dressing
- When looking for chili sauce, get the thicker sauce. It should be thick, like ketchup. I actually got Heinz Chili Sauce and it was perfect for this recipe.
- I made this entire recipe in my blender and it worked perfectly, except for the pickles. I still like to chop those by hand and stir them into the dressing. You don’t want the pickles blended in, just nice little pieces.
- Russian Dressing is delicious on salads and sandwiches, especially our Corned Beef Sandwich.
- This recipe also makes a delicious dip. Try dipping fries or potato chips in it. You will love it! It also gives added flavor to hamburgers.
How to Make Russian Dressing
- Place all ingredients, except chopped pickles, in a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Pour into a medium sized bowl and stir in the chopped pickles.
- Refrigerate for at least 3 hours to set up.