If you are looking for the perfect appetizer for the big game, look no further than these Mushroom Swiss Roast Beef Sliders (with an optional Blue Cheese Horseradish Sauce)!
I made these Mushroom Swiss Roast Beef Sliders for dinner the other night and they were a HUGE hit. Before we were even done eating, my husband said we needed to make these for the Super Bowl in a couple weeks. These can be served as an appetizer or as a meal— I love sliders as a meal because they are so much easier for my kids to eat and they are the perfect portion for them.
Let me talk about why sliders are perfect for kids here for a sec… if your kids are anything like mine, they want to have an entire burger or sandwich to show that they are a “big kid”. They will demand a full burger and promise up and down that they will eat the whole thing. One and a half bites later they say they are full and can’t possibly eat any more. If I try to cut it in half before giving it to them, they don’t eat it. That is why sliders are PERFECT… because they can get a “whole” sandwich without being cut up.. and if they only eat a few bites, no biggie– a few bites is pretty much the whole sandwich and much less is wasted.
These roast beef sliders are little bites of meaty, cheesy heaven. I love “hamburger” sliders but these are SO much easier because you are cutting out the step of having to cook up the ground beef into little mini hamburgers. You can serve these Mushroom Swiss Roast Beef Sliders a few different ways: You can serve them plain, or with the blue cheese horseradish sauce, OR with au jus sauce (I like serving them with au jus when we serve these as a meal rather than an appetizer. I feel like appetizers need to be “grab & go” and having au jus just kind of makes things messy).
I love the buttery sauce that goes over the top of these. It adds a buttery, tangy, savory element to it all. You can add dried minced onion over the top of the buttery topping for added flavor (it will kind of taste like the the Arby’s onion buns). Speaking of Arby’s, just thinking out loud here, these would be dang good with Arby’s sauce (we actually have a link to an Arby’s sauce recipe HERE)! I am a fan of the horseradish sauce myself, which is why I am including a blue cheese horseradish sauce here in the recipe. 🙂
As an added note: If you want to take these to the next level, add some cooked bacon over the roast beef *drool*…
- 12- pack Hawaiian rolls
- 1 8 oz package sliced mushrooms
- 3/4 lb. roast beef
- 1/2 lb. Swiss cheese
- 1/3 butter melted
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/3 c. crumbled blue cheese
- 2 Tbsp. sour cream
- 2 Tbsp. mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp. green onion chopped
- 2 Tbsp. horseradish
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Take rolls out of the package.. do not separate them! You want them to be all together. Slice them horizontally through the middle so you have 2 flat slabs.
- Place the "bottom" slab in the baking dish, set the "top" aside.
- Saute mushrooms in a medium-sized skillet and set aside.
- Layer roast beef, sautéed mushrooms, and cheese over the bottom layer. Place the top slab over the top.
- Combine butter garlic, Worcetershire, and onion powder in a small bowl and mix well. Using a pastry brush, brush butter mixture over the top of the sliders. Cover dish with tin foil and bake for 20-25 minutes or until cheese has melted.
- While sliders are baking combine sauce ingredients in a small sauce-pot over low heat. Stir often until cheese mixture until cheese is just melted (remove before bringing to a simmer).
- Remove sliders from oven and serve with sauce on the side (each individual can put a little sauce on their slider).
- Serve immediately.