Crock Pot Vegetable Beef Soup is full of savory ground beef and hearty vegetables. One of the easiest soups to throw together on a busy, chilly day, and always a family favorite!
Crock Pot Beef Vegetable Soup
Crock Pot Beef Vegetable Soup takes me right back to the cozy days of my childhood, when the savory smell would greet us coming home from school. It’s the kind of meal that our mom would throw together in the morning on busy days in the slow cooker and let simmer all day. She would always serve it with delicious homemade crusty bread or our favorite hot cheese bread for a simple, healthy and hearty supper. It’s so easy to make, you’ll never reach for canned soup again!
A Healthy and Delicious Dinner
This healthy vegetable beef soup begins with a rich tomato base with no creams or butter. Try making it with our homemade tomato juice. The rich flavor of those garden tomatoes add a fresh, vibrant flavor to the vegetables and beef. Add any veggies you like (or ones you know your kids will actually eat). We love peas, carrots, corn, and green beans, but you could add any number of fresh or frozen veggies. The more the better! And the ground beef can be swapped out for ground turkey or even chunks of stew beef. Whatever the variations, it’s a healthy soup to feel good about, yet hearty enough to make you full and satisfied.
Suggestions for this Recipe
- Use russet or Yukon gold potatoes in this soup. If you don’t have any potatoes on hand, use macaroni noodles! They’ll cook up perfectly along with the rest of the veggies and really makes it seem like a totally different soup!
- We like to use ground beef in this recipe, but you can use other beef stew meat if that is what you have available.
- No time to wait for the crock pot to do the work? No problem! This vegetable beef soup recipe can also be made in just 30 minutes by simmering the ingredients on the stove top. I have prepared it both ways and you can’t really tell a difference in the end result. It all depends on what kind of time you have.
- Vegetable Beef Soup is a perfect meal for a gluten-free diet. Just make sure to swap out regular beef broth for a GF version. Swanson’s Beef Broth is gluten free and works great in this recipe.
- Homemade vegetable beef soup freezes beautifully! You can freeze in freezer bags or plastic containers and then thaw completely and heat on the stove or in a crock pot before serving.
- This soup isn’t just for fall and winter months. Try it with fresh or frozen peas and potatoes in the springtime for a fresh, vibrant soup. Or serve it alongside our Irish Soda Bread for a delightful St. Patrick’s Day meal.
More Crock Pot Soups to Try
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Rice Soup: Chicken and Rice Soup warms you up on cold fall and winter days. It is also ideal for busy days. The ingredients go into the Slow Cooker in the morning and a nice, hot meal awaits in the evening.
- Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup: There are so many different vegetables in this Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup. It is very healthy and hearty.
- Slow Cooker Cheese Tortellini Soup: This Cheese Tortellini Soup is a flavorful, easy slow cooker meal. Tortellini, sausage, and spinach in a creamy tomato soup and slow cooked to perfection.
- Slow Cooker Pasta E Fagioli Soup: Our version of the Olive Garden Pasta E Fagioli Soup tastes just like the original. It is an Italian seasoned soup easily made in the slow cooker.
- Slow Cooker Zuppa Toscana Soup: Many agree that this Zuppa Toscana Soup Olive Garden Copycat is actually better than the original! It has a creamy both base and is loaded with sausage and potatoes.
How to Make Crock Pot Vegetable Beef Soup
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 quart vegetable/tomato juice click here or store bought works fine
- 4 medium potatoes diced (you can peel them if you prefer, but leaving the skin on is good too)
- 1 cup frozen corn canned corn works well too.
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2-3 carrots sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste (start with 2 teaspoons of each)
- In a skillet cook ground beef with onion until browned and season with salt and pepper.
- Place cooked ground beef mixture and remaining ingredients in a large slow cooker and cook on high for 2-3 hours or low for 4-6 hours or until potatoes are fork-tender.
- *If you do not want to use a slow cooker, brown beef and onion in a large pot or Dutch oven and add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer about 20 minutes or until potatoes are fork-tender.
- Crock Pot Slow Cooker