Easy Crock Pot Chicken Gyros are generously seasoned with onion, lemon, and oregano. A few minutes of preparation then the crock pot does the work!
These Crock Pot Chicken Gyros are the easiest chicken gyros you will ever make, hands down. Prep time is hardly anything and the Crock Pot does most of the work. I love the sauce that goes on these, too. It is so simple to make and rounds these gyros out perfectly.
My problem with gyros is that sometimes they turn out dry. What better way to make these nice and tender than to throw them in the crock pot. I wasn’t quite sure how they would turn out but they were AWESOME– better than I was expecting actually! The chicken was perfectly moist and the flavor was infused throughout. Seriously, I will never make gyros any other way again!
I have small kids at home so I made these “kid-friendly” for them by serving the chicken mixture over rice. The next day I shredded the chicken up, put it over the flatbread with the tomatoes, sprinkled some cheese over the top, and microwaved them for 30 seconds. I cut them into “pizza slices” and the kids devoured them!
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 onion diced
- 1 1/2 lb. chicken cut into 1" pieces
- lemon zest from 1 small to medium-sized lemon
- juice from 1 small to medium-sized lemon
- 1/2 c. chicken broth
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- salt & pepper to taste
- 4-6 slices of flatbread
- diced or sliced tomatoes, to taste
- 1 c. Tzatziki sauce click here
- Add butter and onions to crock pot. When butter is melted, stir onions around to coat in butter.
- Add chicken to the bottom of the crock pot, placing the pieces evenly over the onions.
- Add lemon zest, lemon juice, chicken broth, oregano, and salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook on high for appx. 2 hours or on low for 3-4 hours.
- Serve by placing a little chicken mixture on each flatbread and topping with Tzatziki sauce and diced tomatoes.