Easy Crock Pot Chicken Gyros are generously seasoned with onion, lemon, and oregano. A few minutes of preparation then the crock pot does the work!
These Crock Pot Chicken Gyros are the easiest chicken gyros you will ever make, hands down. Prep time is hardly anything and the Crock Pot does most of the work. I love the sauce that goes on these, too. It is simple to make and complements the seasoned chicken perfectly.
A gyro is a Greek dish made with seasoned lamb, veal, pork, beef or chicken. The meat is traditionally cooked on a vertical rotisserie, but cooking it in the crock pot is easier and more convenient. The seasoned meat is usually wrapped in a flatbread or pita and topped with red or white onions, tomatoes, and tzatziki sauce. If you’ve never had tzatziki sauce, it is a must try. It is a creamy sauce made with Greek yogurt, cucumber, dill, lemon, and other herbs and seasonings to taste. The tzatziki sauce is a delicious complement to the seasoned meat and onions.
My problem with gyros is that sometimes they turn out dry. What better way to make these nice and tender than to throw them in the crock pot. I wasn’t quite sure how they would turn out but they were AWESOME – better than I was expecting actually. The chicken was perfectly moist and the flavor was infused throughout. Seriously, I will never make gyros any other way again.
I have small kids at home so I made these “kid-friendly” for them by serving the chicken mixture over rice. The next day I shredded the chicken up, put it over the flatbread with the tomatoes, sprinkled some cheese over the top, and microwaved them for 30 seconds. I cut them into “pizza slices” and the kids devoured them!
- Add butter and onions to crock pot. When butter is melted, stir onions around to coat in butter.
- Add chicken to the bottom of the crock pot, placing the pieces evenly over the onions.
- Add lemon zest, lemon juice, chicken broth, oregano, and salt and pepper.
Cover and cook on high for approximately 2 hours or on low for 3-4 hours.
Serve by placing a little chicken mixture on each flatbread and topping with Tzatziki sauce and sliced or diced tomatoes.
More Easy Crock Pot/Slow Cooker Recipes
- Crock Pot Mexican Shredded Beef – A pot roast is seasoned, cooked, and shredded to make a tender and flavorful beef filling for burritos, tacos, enchiladas, or quesadillas.
- Crock Pot Waikiki Meatballs – These meatballs are cooked with bell peppers and pineapple in a sweet and sour teriyaki sauce.
- Crock Pot White Chicken Chili – This creamy chili is made with shredded chicken, white beans, and corn. It can be made mild or spicy.
- Easy Crock Pot Pork Chops – Only 4 ingredients to make these pork chops! An easy weeknight meal that everyone loves!
- Crock Pot Steak and Gravy – Only 3 ingredients go into the crock pot first thing in the morning. The steak cooks all day and is tender and juicy. The gravy is delicious served over rice or potatoes.