Crock Pot Mexican Shredded Beef is the go-to recipe for any beef Mexican dish. So good in burritos, tacos, enchiladas, quesadillas, salad, or just as is!
Crock Pot Mexican Shredded Beef
This is our go-to shredded beef recipe, I simply love it! It really doesn’t get any easier than throwing a roast in a crock pot with a handful of ingredients and letting it cook all day. Growing up, we called this “Mom’s Lake Powell Beef” because she would always make it a few days before we went camping at Lake Powell. She would freeze it and then heat it up over a camp stove. I can’t begin to tell you how good this tasted after a long day of waterskiing and boating. It was delicious!
Ways to Use Shredded Beef
Mexican shredded beef is so versatile! You can prepare it and use it in pretty much any Mexican dish. It works great in burritos, enchiladas, tacos, taquitos, nachos, and taco salads. It is great switch-up from your typical chicken or ground beef.
Try this shredded beef in place of sweet pork in our Family Style Cafe Rio Pork Burritos or our Sweet Pork Salad. It also works great in our Shredded Beef Taquitos or instead of chicken in our Easy Chicken Flautas.
How to Freeze Shredded Beef
This makes quite a bit so we usually make it up and freeze it in little individual freezer bags. It stays good for up to 2 months in the freezer. Thaw the frozen beef in the refrigerator. To reheat, just throw it in pot and stir until hot. I promise, it tastes just as good as it does the day you make it! We ALWAYS bring this on our camping trips. We just heat it up and serve with tortillas. It is so easy and clean-up is a breeze.
**You can also make this shredded beef by using leftovers from your Sunday roast. Just shred up the leftovers and add them to the crock pot with the picante sauce for an hour or so.
More Great Crock Pot Recipes
- Easy Crock Pot Pork Chops — Only 4 ingredients and hardly any prep time but filled with creamy deliciousness.
- Crock Pot Vegetable Beef Soup — Comfort food at its finest. And one of the easiest soups to make!
- Crock Pot Sweet and Sour Meatballs — A sweet, tangy, easy recipe for busy weeknights
How to Make Crock Pot Mexican Shredded Beef
Mexican Shredded Beef
- Sear the roast on all sides. Add to crock pot and sprinkle with onion soup mix and add 2 cups water.
- Cook in crock pot on low for 7-8 hours, keep an eye on it and add more water as necessary. Make sure there is always about 1-2 cups of liquid in there. Do not let the water cook out!
- After meat is cooked, remove beef from Crock Pot and shred, removing any excess fat.
- Return the meat to the Crock Pot and add picante sauce, salt and pepper. Cook on low for another 30 minutes. Meat should be moist and juicy.
- Use shredded beef as a filling in tacos, burritos, enchiladas, quesadillas, or as a topping for nachos.