Cheeseburger pie is cheap, easy, and uses ingredients you probably always have on hand. Makes for a delicious dinner any night of the week!
This is another one of our Mom’s recipes. It is one of those feel-good country dinner meals that my family LOVES. Dinner pies are a great meal for when you just don’t have a whole lot of time to dedicate to dinner! It is cheap, easy, and uses ingredients you probably always have on hand!
Taco Pie Variation
For a little variation — just add a little taco seasoning to the ground beef and top with sour cream and salsa and you have a whole new meal.. TACO PIE! I honestly don’t know which one I like better. Try them both and decide for yourself (even though I am willing to bet you will like it both ways too)!
What To Serve With Cheeseburger Pie
It’s always tricky trying to find the right side dish to go along with casseroles or dishes like Cheeseburger Pie since many view it as a “one dish meal” (which is totally fine). However, if you are looking to add a little more to your dinner, you can try it with:
Tips for Making Cheeseburger Pie
- Add shredded carrot or zucchini in with the ground beef/onion mixture to add some extra veggies (the kids won’t suspect a thing and it doesn’t alter the taste at all!)
- Prepare up to 24 hours ahead of time. Just cover and refrigerate before baking. When ready to bake, pull out of the fridge and just bake it about 5 minutes longer than the original recipe
- Top with sautéed onions or mushrooms before serving to kick it up a notch. You can even make it like a cheeseburger and add lettuce, tomato, and even pickles!
- Our kids’ (and our dad’s) favorite thing to put on cheeseburger pie is ketchup. Give it a try!
- Heat oven to 400-degrees.
- Cook beef and onion in a skillet until cooked through and onions become clear (appx 6-8 min).
- Stir in salt & pepper.
- Spray a glass pie plate with cooking spray and spread beef mixture over the bottom. Top with shredded cheese.
- Whisk together baking mix, milk & eggs in a medium-sized bowl until well blended (it will be pretty runny).
- Pour over beef mixture in pie plate.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cut into wedges and serve!
FOR TACO PIE:
- Add taco seasoning to ground beef when browning. Prepare pie the same as above. When ready to serve, serve with toppings such as salsa, avocado, sour cream etc…