This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
Cheeseburger pie is cheap, easy, and uses ingredients you probably already have on hand. Makes for a delicious dinner any night of the week!
Featured with this recipe
- Bisquick Cheeseburger Pie Ingredients
- How to Make Easy Cheeseburger Pie
- Taco Pie Variation
- Tips for Cheeseburger Pie Recipe
- Modifications for Making the Best Cheeseburger Pie
- What To Serve With Cheeseburger Pie
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Storing and Making Ahead Cheeseburger Pie
- More Hamburger Recipes to Try
- How to Make Cheeseburger Pie
- Cheeseburger Pie Recipe
This delicious cheeseburger pie is going to be one of your new favorite meals! It is so easy to make and comes together quickly and easily. Prepare this cheeseburger pie in a matter of minutes and have your family dinner ready in no time!
It is one of those feel-good country dinner meals that my family LOVES. Dinner pies are a great meal for when you just don’t have a whole lot of time to dedicate to dinner. It is cheap, easy, and uses ingredients you probably already have on hand!
Bisquick Cheeseburger Pie Ingredients
Only six ingredients are needed to make this easy cheeseburger pie recipe! It is a savory dinner that will fill you up. Most of these ingredients are pantry staples and great to have on hand. Use these simple ingredients that will come together quickly and easily for a delicious cheeseburger pie!
- Ground beef – Use lean ground beef, like 85% or higher, to help cut back on fat. Once cooked, drain the excess grease off the meat before adding it to the pan.
- Onion – Chop a white or yellow onion and cook with the ground beef. This will give moisture to the beef as well as add in flavor.
- Cheddar cheese – Sprinkle shredded cheese over top of the ground beef. The shredded cheese melts easier and will mix together easier as it is baked. If you are wanting a hamburger pie, leave out the cheese.
- Bisquick mix – This is a simple way to make a crust for those busy weeknight meals. You can also use the Krusteaz baking mix if you have this one at home instead of Bisquick. Both will work great!
- Milk – Thin the batter with milk added in. You can use any percentage of milk. I would not recommend almond milk or a low-fat milk though.
- Eggs – These are added in for the pie crust to give the batter filling. The crust batter is going to look runny but it will form once baked.
How to Make Easy Cheeseburger Pie
This cheeseburger pie is simple to make and only uses a couple of pans when preparing. You will need a 9-inch pie plate and a skillet to cook the ground beef. Fewer dishes means more time to enjoy dinner!
- Sauté – Cook beef and onion in a large skillet over medium heat until cooked through and onions become clear. Stir in salt & pepper.
- Prepare – Spray a glass pie plate with cooking spray and spread beef mixture over the bottom. Top with shredded cheese.
- Mix together – Whisk together baking mix, milk, and eggs in a medium-sized bowl until well blended. Pour the beef mixture into the pie pan.
- Bake and serve – Bake for 25 minutes or until the knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Cut into wedges and serve!
Taco Pie Variation
Mix up your dinner one night and create a fiesty taco pie! Simply add taco seasoning to the ground beef and top with sour cream and salsa. Now you have a whole new meal! Try both cheeseburger pie and taco pie to see which one you like best!
Tips for Cheeseburger Pie Recipe
Try these tips to help make this cheeseburger pie the best it can be! Learn how to serve, make the crust just right, and feed more than just your family by doubling the recipe. Serve this cheeseburger pie perfectly for your next dinner!
- Don’t over-mix – The crust batter will be a little runny and milky, but not thick. Don’t over-mix the batter though. Stir until combined and leave it.
- Serving – When ready to serve, garnish the cheeseburger with all your favorite toppings on a cheeseburger.
- Cutting the pie – Wait 15 to 20 minutes before cutting into the pie. This will allow the cheeseburger to set up and not fall apart when slicing. Use a sharp knife to cut through the cheeseburger.
- Double the recipe – If you are serving a larger family, double the recipe and add the cheeseburger to a 9×13 pan.
Modifications for Making the Best Cheeseburger Pie
Take your cheeseburger pie up a notch and try these different variations and toppings to make your pie even better! Cheeseburger pie is so versatile with so many delicious choices and ideas to make it your way. Add vegetables, change the cheese, and add on toppings to make it taste just like a cheeseburger!
- Protein – For a lighter meal, try ground turkey or ground chicken in replace of ground beef.
- Vegetables – Add shredded carrot or zucchini in with the ground beef and onion mixture. This will add extra veggies and it doesn’t alter the taste.
- Cheese – Switch up the cheese to the favorite burger cheese you like. Try Monterey jack, swiss, or your favorite.
- Toppings – Top with sautéed onions or mushrooms before serving to kick it up a notch. You can even make it like a cheeseburger and add lettuce, tomato, and even dill pickles or pickle relish!
- Condiments – One of our favorite things to put on cheeseburger pie is ketchup and sometimes mustard. Give it a try!
What To Serve With Cheeseburger Pie
It’s always tricky trying to find the right side dish to go along with casseroles or dishes like cheeseburger pie since many view it as a “one dish meal” (which is totally fine). However, if you are looking to add a little more to your dinner, you can try it with these side dishes.
“This is everything my family wants in a dinner and more! So much easier than firing up the grill. Love it for a quick weeknight fix! Thank you!”-Kelly
Frequently Asked Questions
It is known that the Rosebowl Cafe head baker, Derek McNabb created the original cheeseburger pie. It had two Angus beef patties topped with pickles, onions, mustard, and two types of cheeses, all layered inside the puff pastry.
Yes! Simply follow the recipe and bake the cheeseburger pie. Let is cool, then wrap the pie in aluminum foil and place it in a freezer bag for up to three months.
Ground beef is the traditional cheeseburger pie recipe. If you are looking for other options, try ground bison, ground turkey, or even ground chicken for a lighter meal.
Storing and Making Ahead Cheeseburger Pie
Making this cheeseburger pie ahead of time is a lifesaver. You can simply make it and store it in the refrigerator for a day before needed to use it on a busy day of the week. It is helpful and reassuring to still be able to have a warm and comforting meal at night!
- Make ahead – Prepare up to 24 hours ahead of time. Just cover with aluminum foil and refrigerate before baking. When ready to bake, pull out of the fridge and just bake it about 5 minutes longer than the original recipe
- Storing – Leftover cheeseburger pie is simple to store in the refrigerator. Place the leftover pie into an airtight container for three to four days long. When ready to reheat, place it in the oven or microwave until it is warmed back through.
More Hamburger Recipes to Try
How to Make Cheeseburger Pie
- Heat oven to 400-degrees. Cook beef and onion in a skillet until cooked through and onions become clear (approximately 6-8 minutes).
- Stir in salt and pepper.
- Spray a glass pie plate with cooking spray and spread the beef mixture over the bottom. Top with shredded cheese.
- Whisk together the baking mix, milk, and eggs in a medium-sized bowl until well blended (it will be pretty runny).
- Pour over the beef mixture on the pie plate.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cut into wedges and serve!
How to Make Cheeseburger Pie Ahead of TimePrepare up to 24 hours ahead of time. Just cover with aluminum foil and refrigerate before baking. When ready to bake, pull out of the fridge and just bake it about 5 minutes longer than the original recipe.
For Taco PieAdd taco seasoning to ground beef when browning. Prepare pie the same as above. When ready to serve, serve with toppings such as salsa, avocado, sour cream etc.
Love this recipe?
We want to hear from you! Please leave a review.