This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
Salmon Patties are a light and flavorful alternative to your typical beef burger. They are a tasty way to get in a serving of fish for the week. A must-try for seafood and salmon lovers!
Do you want to sink your teeth into something juicy and delicious without committing to all of the calories and fat of a cheeseburger? This tasty, and very filling, salmon patty can be served as a main dish as a salmon cake (think crab cakes). To make it more like a hamburger, serve it on a bun, on bread, in a pita pocket, or wrap it in lettuce leaves. Salmon patties, if prepared correctly, are every bit as flavorful, juicy and satisfying as a patty of beef. Chop up leftovers and serve them over a salad for a second meal during the week.
Are Salmon Patties Healthy?
Yes! Salmon is a fatty fish. It is a good source of protein and omega-3 fatty acids, but it is not high in saturated fat. The American Heart Association recommends eating “fatty fish”at least twice a week to lower the risk of heart disease and stroke (www.heart.org).
Salmon Patty Ingredients
Our salmon patty recipe uses fresh salmon fillets (raw or cooked), but canned salmon can also be used. To hold the salmon together, we add egg white and breadcrumbs. If you are following a keto or low carb diet, use almond flour instead. If you don’t have breadcrumbs on hand, crush some saltine crackers. A variety of fresh herb seasonings and vegetables can be added to your taste. For this simple recipe, we use fresh basil and salt. Try something from the following list or a favorite of your own to season the patties to your taste:
- Fresh garlic, garlic powder, garlic or salt
- Green onion, diced onion, onion powder, or onion salt
- Fresh parsley, fresh dill, or rosemary
- Diced celery, red pepper, or carrot
- Fresh lemon juice
- Black pepper
Storing and Freezing Salmon Patties
To store salmon patties, place them in an airtight container and keep them in the refrigerator for up to a week. Serve them cold in a salad or warmed over rice in a salmon bowl.
To freeze salmon patties, we recommend wrapping them in plastic wrap, then in foil. Keep in the freezer for up to a few months. Thaw in the refrigerator before serving.
More Salmon Recipes
We can’t get enough of salmon. It is healthy and it is versatile. If you are also a salmon lover, here are more great methods of preparing and eating salmon.
- Air Fryer Salmon: With an air fryer, you can serve up a salmon dinner in about 15 minutes.
- Baked Salmon with Lemon: Bake salmon in the oven then top with lemon and a creamy tartar sauce.
- Pecan Crusted Salmon: A pecan topping gives this Pecan Crusted Salmon a sweet and savory crust while the fish is tender and flakey.
- Grilled Salmon: Fresh oranges give this Orange Grilled Salmon a citrusy taste and tender texture. Wrap salmon and oranges in foil, then grill to hold in the juices.
How To Make Salmon Patties
Quick and Easy Salmon Patties
- Mix salmon, bread crumbs, basil, and salt.
- Add egg white and mix well.
- Divide the mixture into four even parts, and form into patties. Spray a frying pan with cooking spray. Cook the patties for 3 minutes on each side over medium heat until browned on both sides.
- Serve on a bun with your favorite toppings and condiments.