I LOVE making Gingerbread Cookies during the holidays! It is a fun tradition that everyone in the family can enjoy. This recipe is so good and so easy!
Yum! Just looking at an image of a gingerbread cookie takes me back to the warm, inviting aroma of a kitchen at Christmas time. The cinnamon, ginger and cloves in this recipe make these cookies smell — and taste — amazing!
One of the things I love about this cookie project is just how much variety it allows. Using a variety of holiday cookie cutters and then decorating them, the possibilities are endless. Gingerbread men, gingerbread snowflakes, candy cane and stocking shaped, as well as gingerbread houses are all fun to bake and decorate. These Gingerbread Cookies have a really rich flavor and they are so simple to make. You can also use this recipe to make gingerbread houses, just bake it a few minutes longer to make it more sturdy. When you roll out the dough, make sure that you flour the counter as well as the rolling pin and your hands. You can even spray a little cooking spray on the rolling pin. Also, make sure to grease your cookie sheet really well and use a metal spatula to move the cookies. Let the cookies cool completely before you decorate them.
Decorating Gingerbread Man Cookies
To decorate these cookies, I used our Royal Icing and some regular and mini chocolate chips. The Royal Icing is really easy to decorate with, just make sure that you keep it covered with a damp dish towel when you aren’t using it so it doesn’t dry out. I piped the frosting on using a really small tip so I could do all the details and outlining. I used royal icing and chocolate chips to go for a clean, simple look but you can use any icing and candies that you want!
Other Holiday Cookies to Make with Your Family
If you’re anything like us, the holidays mean lots and lots of baking! We love to make all kinds of treats for our family and friends to enjoy! We hope these other holiday cookie recipes will fill your kitchen not only with amazing aromas, but with memorable moments as well!
- Chocolate Orange Cookies
- Dipped Ritz Cookies
- Andes Mint Cookies
- Elf Cookies
- Molasses Cookies
- The Best Christmas Sugar Cookies Ever – and How to Decorate Them
- 3-Ingredient Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
How to Make Gingerbread Man Cookies
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until smooth. Add egg and molasses.
- In a different bowl, mix all dry ingredients. Slowly add to the wet ingredients while stirring. Mix until combined.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Remove from fridge and bring to room temperature (let it sit out for 15 minutes, or microwave for about 10 seconds).
- Preheat oven to 350.
- On a floured surface, roll dough out to about ⅛ inch thickness.
- Cut with cookie cutters and place on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Decorate and enjoy!