I LOVE making Gingerbread Cookies during the holidays! It is such a fun tradition that everyone in the family can enjoy.
Gingerbread cookies can be made using a variety of holiday cookie cutters. Gingerbread men, gingerbread snowflakes, and gingerbread houses are all fun to bake and decorate. These Gingerbread Cookies have a really rich flavor and they are so simple to make. To decorate these cookies, I used our Royal Icing and some regular and mini chocolate chips.
The Royal Icing is really easy to decorate with, just make sure that you keep it covered with a damp dish towel when you aren’t using it so it doesn’t dry out. I piped the frosting on using a really small tip so I could do all the details and outlining. You can also use this recipe to make gingerbread houses, just bake it a few minutes longer to make it more sturdy. When you roll out the dough, make sure that you flour the counter as well as the rolling pin and your hands. You can even spray a little cooking spray on the rolling pin. Also, make sure to grease your cookie sheet really well and use a metal spatula to move the cookies. Let the cookies cool completely before you decorate them.
How to Make Gingerbread Cookies
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until smooth. Add egg and molasses.
- In a different bowl, mix all dry ingredients. Slowly add to the wet ingredients while stirring. Mix until combined.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Remove from fridge and bring to room temperature (let it sit out for 15 minutes, or microwave for about 10 seconds).
- Preheat oven to 350.
- On a floured surface, roll dough out to about 1/8 inch thickness.
- Cut with cookie cutters and place on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Decorate and enjoy!