This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
Grilled Artichokes with Creamy Lemon Dip is an irresistible appetizer that is easy to make and fun to eat! Tender, smokey artichoke pieces are perfect dipped in creamy, tangy sauce.
Grilled Artichokes with Creamy Lemon Dip
Grilled Artichokes are one of my very favorite appetizers right now. They also work great as a side dish when we are grilling our favorite marinated chicken or steak. I’m crazy about these tender vegetables, charred slightly, crisped to perfection, then dipped in creamy, tangy, cool mayo dip. On hot summer evenings, my family will grill a few artichoke halves and eat them right off the grill around the kitchen island for dinner! Other times we serve them instead of chips and dip at parties, and let me tell you, they always go quick! If you’re intimidated by cooking artichokes, never fear! They may look different, but they are actually very easy to prepare, and even though they take a little bit of time, every single bite is worth it!
Suggestions for Perfect Grilled Artichokes
Grilled artichokes take on a smoky flavor and crisp, slightly tender texture that just can’t be beat! We try to grill our veggies as often as possible; they taste so much better than when steamed or boiled. Follow these simple tips for perfect grilled artichokes:
- The trick to great grilled artichokes is doing a lot of the cooking before firing up the grill. Steam them in a pot on the stove, cooking until fully tender but not too soft, usually about 30-40 minutes.
- You can even boil the artichokes ahead of time, then put them in a plastic bag in the fridge until you’re ready to cook them. They’ll stay nice and fresh for a couple of days.
- Once you can easily pick off the outside leaves easily, the artichokes are done. Let them cool.
- Then cut each one in half and remove the fuzzy center.
- Next, brush them with a mouthwatering mixture of melted butter, lemon juice, salt and pepper and garlic. YUM!
- Grill each half open side down on the grill until they’re nicely charred and tender. Then flip them over and brush the insides with more butter mixture.
- Serve them warm on a plate with cool creamy lemon dip on the side. You’ve never tasted anything so fresh, zesty and delicious!
Creamy Lemon Dip
While your artichokes are cooking, mix up the easy lemon dip or aioli. It’s just two simple ingredients: mayo and lemon juice. We like Best Foods Mayonnaise and fresh lemon juice. You only need about one to two teaspoons of lemon juice, or about half a lemon.
More Grilled Dishes
Grilled vegetables are my favorite side dishes! Not only are they healthy (you can eat an entire artichoke half for 40 calories) but they are tasty, crispy, tender and absolutely delicious. Try some of these tasty grilled dishes:
- Roasted Potatoes with Brussels Sprouts and Bacon
- Greek Lemon Chicken Foil Packets with Vegetables
- Oven Roasted Vegetables
- Parmesan Garlic Grilled Potatoes
- Oven Roasted Green Beans
- Grilled Ranch Potatoes in Foil
- Grilled Caesar Salad
How to Make Grilled Artichokes with Creamy Lemon Dip
Grilled Artichokes with Creamy Lemon Dip
- Outdoor Barbecue Grill
- 2 to 4 Whole Artichokes
- olive oil to taste
- lemon juice to taste
- 1 lemon sliced into wedges (optional)
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning
Lemon Mayo Dip
- 1/2 cup Best Foods Mayonnaise
- 1 to 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Fill a large pot (that can hold the artichokes side by side) with water and bring to a boil over the stove. Add some olive oil and lemon juice to the water, to taste.
- Cut the top section (so you catch the sharp ends of the leaves) off the artichoke. Cut a little off the stem and any stray little leaves off the stem. Add the artichokes to the boiling water and cook for 30 to 40 minutes, or until outside leaves pull off easily.
- While the artichokes are boiling make the dipping sauce. Mix up the lemon and mayo and set aside in the fridge for later.
- When cooked, remove from water and place the artichokes upside down to cool and drain.
- Cut the artichokes in half with a large sharp knife and remove the fuzzy center (also known as the choke) with a spoon.
- Combine the basting mix and brush all over the inside of each artichoke half (try to reserve a little for the end of grilling). Grill cut sides down over medium high heat. When the edges get nice and toasty, flip over and brush the insides again with any remaining butter/seasoning mix.
- Serve hot with the chilled lemon mayo dip along with lemon wedges.
Love this recipe?
We want to hear from you! Please leave a review.
Soooo amazing!!! Thanks for a delicious recipe.
I tend to find artichokes a little intimidating. You managed make it less so. Great, easy recipe.
Growing up in California my husband loves artichokes. This recipe and the sauce made them amazing! Now I love them too. Thanks
These are just to die for and so perfect for entertaining!
Such a classy more grown-up appetizer for parties!
This was gone in no time! Delicious!