This Steak Rub gives just the right amount of sweet and spicy flavor to a New York Steak. Add the rub, wait 4 hours, then grill to perfection!
This is the second time we have made this New York Steak Rub, and both times turned out amazing! We tried these steaks out with company recently and they were a huge success! Now let me specify, if you are going to make this recipe please PLEASE spend the extra money to get a good cut of meat. Luckily, these steaks were actually on sale at our grocery store last week, so we got Choice grade New York steaks. Trust me, it really does make a difference!
Tricks of the Trade
When using this steak rub, or cooking any kind of steak, the key is to avoid overcooking your steak. Leave some pink in the center. Trust me, it just tastes better. One of the better investments we have made (which was actually really cheap) was buying a meat thermometer. Cutting into your steak to see if it is done lets out the juices and will kill the flavor, don’t do it! The best method is to cook each side, turning only once or twice, then allow the steaks to cool for 5 minutes once they are off the grill before you ever cut into it. This keeps the juices in and keeps your steak tasting AMAZING!
Go Ahead, Grill!
Looking for more great reasons to fire up the grill? Check out these fabulous grill recipes.
- Steak Salad with Blue Cheese and Avocados is a great main dish salad, full of flavor.
- Sweet Teriyaki Grilled Ham Steaks are an easy and delicious way to get the grilled ham flavor you crave.
- Steak Kabobs with veggies and avocado sauce creates a slightly spicy flavor, tempered perfectly by the cool flavor of the avocado sauce.
- Grilled Cilantro Lime Halibut is an easy to make fish dish that doesn’t taste fishy at all.
How To Make Steak Rub
- About 4 to 6 hours before grilling, mix together the rub ingredients in a medium bowl. Rub the spices all over the 4 steaks and and wrap each individually in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 4 to 6 hours.
- Half an hour before grilling, remove steaks to kitchen counter. You want the steaks to warm to room temperature before you grill them.
- Remove plastic wrap and sprinkle both sides lightly with kosher salt. Grill over medium high heat for 6 to 7 minutes on each side, or to desired doneness.
- Outdoor Barbecue Grill