Instant Pot Lemon Custard Cups are a tangy, light and refreshing treat, perfect for spring and summer! So easy to make in the Instant Pot!
Instant Pot Lemon Custard Cups
There’s nothing like topping off a delicious family dinner with a luscious dessert. This lemon custard is such a refreshing way to end a meal. It’s light and fragrant oh so divine! I love to bring a tray of these adorable custard cups outside while my family relaxes on the back patio after dinner. The warm spring breeze wafts over us as we watch the kids play on the grass and we linger over bites of luscious lemony custard, often topped with a dollop of whipped cream. Wherever you eat this yummy treat, our family and friends love this recipe, and I know you and yours will too!
Tips for this Lemon Custard Recipe
- This recipe is naturally gluten-free so even those with dietary restrictions can enjoy a sweet treat after dinner.
- Custard is generally made with milk or cream and egg yolk. It can be thick like a pie filling or thin like a sauce, and made with many flavors. Lemon is a particular favorite because the zest and freshness of the lemon pair nicely with the richness of the custard base.
- This lemon custard recipe is super versatile and can be eaten a million different ways. Generally the custard is cooled after cooking and served chilled, perhaps with whipped topping. However, you could try it warm or hot. The texture and consistency will be more like a sauce, perfect for drizzling over ice cream or yogurt.
- Although this classic custard tastes divine with just a bowl and a spoon, you can also try topping it with whipped cream, graham crackers, fresh fruit or meringue. Mix it with oatmeal, yogurt or spread on toast or muffins.
Layering in the Instant Pot
We love making this recipe in the Instant Pot or pressure cooker! It’s easy and there’s no need to constantly watch and stir over the stove. Be careful, however, when layering your ramekins. Our tried and true method is three ramekins on the bottom and one on top. If you’re doing more, just make sure to build up the stack like a pyramid so they are stable.
More Lemony Desserts
If you like this recipe, be sure to try some of our other delicious lemon desserts:
- Lemon Meringue Pie
- Cream Cheese Lemon Bars
- Raspberry Lemon Jello Poke Cake
- Lemon Buttermilk Cupcakes with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
- Sour Cream Lemon Pie
How to Make Instant Pot Lemon Custard
- In a medium-sized saucepot, bring milk, sugar, cornstarch, salt, lemon zest and salt to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Once the mixture comes to a boil, remove from heat.
- Combine 2 eggs and 2 egg yolks in a mixing bowl. Slowly add the hot lemon custard mixture a little at a time to the egg mixture, whisking constantly. This will prevent the eggs from cooking.
- Whisk in butter until melted, then add lemon juice. Stir until smooth and creamy.
- Pour equally into 4 8-ounce oven-safe ramekins, leaving about 1/2" space at the top. Cover each ramekin with aluminum foil.
- Place trivet in Instant Pot and add 2 cups water.
- Carefully place ramekins in the Instant Pot (3 on the bottom forming a triangle and 1 over the top in the center).
- Place lid on Instant Pot and set tab to "sealing". Set to "manual" and set to "high pressure" for 5 minutes.
- When the time is up, do a quick release and turn Instant Pot off. Allow ramekins to cool to room temperature and then place in refrigerator for a minimum of 2 hours.
- Instant Pot Pressure Cooker