Because it is kept refrigerated, this Raspberry Lemon Jello Poke Cake is cold and refreshing The cake is so moist and the pudding makes a light and creamy frosting.
What is a Jello Poke Cake?
This Raspberry Lemon Jello Poke Cake is made with Jell-O gelatin and Jell-O pudding. After baking a box cake mix, holes are poked in the top of the cake with a wooden spoon handle. This is where the “poke” in poke cake comes from. Jell-O gelatin is then added to the cake giving it delicious flavor and moisture. The topping for the cake is made with Jell-O pudding. It is a true family favorite!
As a little girl, I couldn’t get enough of this cake. I have to admit I would stick around in the kitchen when my Mom was making it so I could be the first to could get the bowl and spoon to lick the pudding – now my kids do the same thing.
You will notice in the recipe, we use less milk than what is called for on the box directions. Using less milk makes the pudding thicker and it holds it’s consistency better when spread on the cake. It is also important to use 2% or whole milk. This also makes the pudding thicker and creamier.
Jello Poke Cake Substitutions
There are many variations on this Jello Poke Cake recipe that I have tried over the years. It is what makes this such a fun recipe! Because the combinations of cake flavors, Jell-O gelatin, and Jell-O pudding are limitless – the possibilities are endless. I love raspberry and lemon together, especially when fresh raspberries are in season.
Jello Poke Cake Flavor Combinations
- Strawberry Banana Cake – Use a vanilla cake mix with strawberry Jell-O and banana pudding mix. Top with fresh bananas and strawberries.
- Chocolate Cherry Cake – Use a chocolate cake mix, cherry Jell-O, and a thick chocolate pudding for the frosting. It tastes just like a chocolate-covered cherry.
- Blackberry Vanilla Cake – Blackberry Fusion has recently come out as new Jell-O flavor. Start with a vanilla cake mix and add Blackberry Fusion Jell-O. Top with vanilla pudding and fresh blackberries.
- More ideas! Jell-O has come out with some fun flavors that would be fun to experiment with like sparkling berry and watermelon.
How to make Raspberry Lemon Jello Poke Cake
Raspberry Lemon Jello Poke Cake
- Mix cake mix, water, oil, and eggs well. Pour mix into a greased 9x13 pan and bake according to package directions.
- Let cake cool completely - about 1 hour. Using a fork, poke small holes all over the top of the cake.
- Boil 1 cup water in a small saucepan and pour into a small bowl. Add raspberry Jell-o mix and stir with a whisk until Jell-o is completely dissolved. Add cold water and stir.
- Pour raspberry Jell-o mixture over the cake. Run a knife around the edges of the cake to loosen it from the sides of the pan.
- Refrigerate cake for 2 hours.
- While cake is in the refrigerator, mix the lemon pudding mixes with 3 cups milk (2% or whole). Blend until pudding is completely dissolved. Refrigerate pudding for at least 1 hour.
- Frost the cake with the pudding and keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
- Garnish the cake with fresh raspberries just before serving.
More Easy Desserts that Start with a Cake Mix
Using a cake mix for a dessert makes preparation quick and easy, but you don’t have to settle for a basic cake. There are so many fun and fancy desserts that start with a cake mix. These are some of our favorites.
- Chocolate Chocolate Chip Nothing Bundt Cake – A rich, moist, and delicious chocolate cake that tastes just like the cake you can buy from the Nothing Bundt Cake store.
- Chocolate Pudding Cake – This Chocolate Pudding Cake is probably the easiest chocolate cake recipe out there. There are only 4 ingredients!
- Better Than You Know What Cake – Turn a basic chocolate cake mix into a decadent dessert. A chocolate cake filled with sweet, caramel filling and topped with toffee bars.
- German Chocolate Cookie Bars – These bars have a chewy chocolate cookie layer topped with gooey homemade German chocolate coconut frosting.
- Cake Mix Coffee Cake – If you like coffee cake, you are going to LOVE this Cake Mix Coffee Cake! I am a big fan of coffee cake and I am even a bigger fan of it when I can skip a couple steps to get it done quicker!