Lemon Meringue Pie is one of my all-time favorite pies. The lemon filling is tart and smooth and the meringue is light and creamy. The perfect pie!
This Lemon Meringue Pie is definitely one of our more treasured family recipes from our Mom. We grew up on this pie. This recipe has been in our family as far back as I can remember. This is also our Dad’s favorite pie. He always requests it to be one of the pies served at Thanksgiving dinner. He also talks my mom into making it for all kinds of other occasions too, including Sunday dinner.
The lemon filling of a Lemon Meringue pie is similar to a lemon custard or pudding. The egg yolks give it a firm texture that holds the pie shape when cutting slices. The lemon juice and lemon zest (preferably from actual lemons!) give the filling it’s tart lemon flavor that is so irresistible. In the meringue, the whipped egg whites create air bubbles that get trapped inside as the meringue cooks. This gives the meringue the light fluffiness that complements the creamy lemon filling. I like to bake it until the peaks turn a light and golden brown. It is the perfect homemade pie. A store bought Lemon Meringue Pie doesn’t come close to the deliciousness of a homemade pie.
How to Make Lemon Meringue Pie
Mom’s Lemon Meringue Pie
In a medium-sized saucepot, bring sugar, cornstarch, salt, water, and lemon peel to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and mix in with wire whip 4 egg yolks. Return to heat for 1 minute stirring constantly. Remove from heat and whisk in 3 T. butter, then ½ c. lemon juice. Pour into pie crust and cool.
Meringue topping: In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy. Gradually add ½ c. sugar beating until stiff peaks form.
Top pie with meringue and bake at 325 about 10 minutes or until meringue is lightly browned. Chill until set.
More Delicious Pie Recipes
- Coconut Cream Pie – Coconut Cream Pie is a dreamy island dessert with a flaky crust, coconut filling that is made from scratch, and toasted coconut sprinkles.
- Creamy Lemon Pie – This Creamy Lemon Pie is packed full of tart, lemon flavor and creamy goodness. This recipe is super easy to make and is always a crowd pleaser!
- Butterscotch Pie – This creamy butterscotch filling is spread into a flaky pie crust and drizzled with butterscotch topping then sprinkled with butterscotch chips. It’s basically a butterscotch lovers dream.
- Island Pecan Pie – Loaded with coconut, pecans, and pineapple, this pie is creamy and full of flavor.
- German Chocolate Pie – This pie recipe comes straight from Amish country. The rich, gooey, chocolate filling is to die for!
- Key Lime Pie – A traditional southern pie in a graham cracker crust. It is creamy, sweet, and tart all at the same time.