Lemon Meringue Pie is one of my all-time favorites. Smooth, tart lemon filling with light and fluffy meringue that melts in your mouth. The best lemon pie you will ever taste!
Pies are the perfect dessert that can be enjoyed all year round. Whether it be Thanksgiving dinner, Christmas, or even Easter. You can never go wrong with a homemade pie.
Lemon Meringue Pie
This Lemon Meringue Pie is definitely one of our more treasured family recipes from our mom. We grew up on this dessert; it’s been a favorite in our family as far back as I can remember. Our dad always requests it to be one of the pies served at Thanksgiving dinner, many Sunday dinners and it has replaced his birthday cake on more than one occasion.
Fresh lemon juice and zest give the filling an irresistible tart lemon flavor. The meringue gets light and fluffy from whipped egg whites that turn a gorgeous golden brown in the oven. It really is the best lemon meringue pie recipe. A store bought pie doesn’t even come close to the deliciousness of this homemade treat. And it’s not as hard as you think to get the perfect meringue peaks. Give it a try!
For The Perfect Meringue…
Whip egg whites to create egg bubbles. Those bubbles will get trapped inside as the meringue cooks. This gives it the light fluffiness that complements the creamy lemon filling to perfection.
Suggestions for this Recipe
- Keep a close eye on the pie while baking. Only bake the pie until the peaks turn a light and golden brown.
- We love this delicious homemade crust which tastes perfect with this recipe. Or save yourself some time and effort and use a pre-baked crust. There are some delicious options out there, both frozen and fresh.
- For the best lemon flavoring try to use fresh lemon juice and zest. It gives the pie such a vibrant, fresh flavor that goes so well with the light crust and airy meringue topping. But if you don’t have fresh lemons on hand, lemon juice from the bottle works great too!
- The secret to silky smooth pie is stir stir stir! Stirring the filling constantly while it’s cooking will ensure a flawless smooth texture.
More Delicious Pie Recipes
Whether you’re baking up pies for the holidays, Sunday dinner, or a celebration, here are some traditional and unique pie recipes you will love!
- Key Lime Pie – A traditional southern pie in a graham cracker crust. It is creamy, sweet, and tart all at the same time.
- Easy Berry Pie – This pie is full of plump, juicy blackberries, blueberries, and raspberries and tastes delicious with vanilla ice cream. An easy pie recipe for any occasion!
- Island Pecan Pie – Loaded with coconut, pecans, and pineapple, this pie is creamy and full of flavor.
- Coconut Cream Pie – Coconut Cream Pie is a dreamy island dessert with a flaky crust, coconut filling that is made from scratch, and toasted coconut sprinkles.
- Creamy Lemon Pie – This Creamy Lemon Pie is packed full of tart, lemon flavor and creamy goodness. This recipe is super easy to make and is always a crowd pleaser!
- German Chocolate Pie – This pie recipe comes straight from Amish country. The rich, gooey, chocolate filling is to die for!
How to Make Lemon Meringue Pie
- In a medium-sized saucepot, bring sugar, cornstarch, salt, water, and lemon peel to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and mix in with wire whip 4 egg yolks. Return to heat for 1 minute stirring constantly. Remove from heat and whisk in 3 T. butter, then ½ c. lemon juice.
- Pour into pie crust and cool.
- In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy. Gradually add ½ c. sugar beating until stiff peaks form.
- Top pie with meringue and bake at 325 about 10 minutes or until meringue is lightly browned.
- Chill until set.