This Instant Pot Mac and Cheese is so quick and easy to make – plus it tastes amazing! The sauce is cheesy, creamy perfection!
Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
This Instant Pot Mac and Cheese is the quickest, easiest dinner that your whole family will love. It tastes a THOUSAND times better than boxed mac and cheese because it is made with real food (I don’t even want to know what that powdered “cheese” is made out of). It only takes five ingredients to make and you probably already have them all on hand!
What Type of Cheese Should I Use?
When you’re picking out your cheeses, you have to consider two factors: melt-ability and flavor. Most cheeses are meltable, but stay away from crumbly types like feta or cotija. Avoid using pre-shredded cheese as well. It contains preservatives and coatings that will make your sauce turn out grainy. As far as flavor, some of our favorite cheeses are extra sharp cheddar (please don’t use mild – your taste buds will thank you!), gouda, gruyere, and parmesan. The only cheese flavor that I don’t recommend is Monterey Jack – for some reason its just not right in mac and cheese.
Step by Step Instructions
- Put pasta and water into the instant pot.
- Add oil and gently push the pasta under the water. Do not stir.
- Sprinkle salt, pepper, and garlic powder over the top. Cover the pot, set the vent to sealing, and cook on the Manual setting on high pressure for 3 minutes.
- Once the timer goes off, do a quick release. Once the pin drops, take the lid off and stir in the butter, cheese, and milk. Add more salt and pepper to taste.
Other Instant Pot Recipes You Will Love
We love our Instant Pots! They make dinner quicker and easier, which means more time to spend with our families. Try some of our other favorite Instant Pot recipes!
- Hard Boiled Eggs
- Mashed Potatoes
- Beef Stew
- Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Rice and Chicken with Basil Cream Sauce
- Chicken Cordon Bleu
- Easy Chicken Breasts
How to Make Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
- Add the pasta, water, and oil to the Instant Pot. Gently press the noodles below the water without stirring.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper (to taste) over noodles. Optional: Sprinkle garlic powder over noodles.
- Cover the Instant Pot and turn the valve to sealing. Cook on the Manual setting on high pressure for 3 minutes.
- When the timer goes off, immediately quick release the pressure.
- Once the pin drops, remove the lid and add the butter. Stir until butter is melted.
- Add the cheese. Stir until combined.
- Add up to 1/2 cup of milk, a little bit at a time. Top with more salt and pepper if desired and serve immediately.