This recipe for Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes is my new favorite way to make mashed potatoes. It frees up your stovetop for other things and the potatoes come out so fluffy and smooth.
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
I love finding new things to cook in my Instant Pot, and these mashed potatoes are no exception. It is such an easy recipe. You can seriously drop the potatoes and water in the pot and forget about it until the timer goes off. I especially like this method because it frees up your stovetop for other things. On big holidays like Thanksgiving I need all the stovetop space I can get.
What Kind of Potatoes Should I Use?
For mashed potatoes, we always use Russet potatoes. They hold up really well while they cook, and then they mash perfectly. Then there’s the other big question – to peel or not to peel? For this recipe I decided to peel them, just because that is how my family prefers them. I don’t think the peels would make a difference in the Instant Pot. Let us know if you try it!
Ideas for Serving
These mashed potatoes are so creamy and delicious that you could almost eat them plain, right out of the bowl. However, if you’re like our family, you will want to smother your mashed potatoes with gravy. Try our Turkey Gravy, Beef Gravy, or Chicken Gravy. These mashed potatoes would also be great as a base for our Loaded Mashed Potatoes.
Main Dishes That Pair Perfectly with Mashed Potatoes
Even though I do LOVE mashed potatoes and would totally eat them as a meal, you probably need a main dish to go with them. Try some of our favorites!
- Instant Pot Pork Chops and Gravy
- Parmesan Chicken with Basil Cream Sauce
- The Best Thanksgiving Turkey
- Oven Fried Chicken
How to Make Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Peel the potatoes and cut into quarters. Place potatoes into the Instant Pot and cover with water. Add salt (I usually add about 1 teaspoon at this point).
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and set the valve to sealing. Cook on Manual at high pressure for 10 minutes. When the timer goes off, turn the Instant Pot off and quick release the pressure.
- Drain the potatoes and return them to the Instant Pot. Mash the potatoes with a potato masher or with a hand mixer.
- In a small bowl, combine the milk and the butter. Microwave for about 40 seconds. This helps the milk not to curdle or to cool the potatoes down too much. Slowly add in the butter/milk mixture until potatoes reach desired consistency.
- Mash in the sour cream, salt, and pepper. Serve immediately.