Chicken Parmesan is a hearty dish that’s so easy to make! Baked chicken in a crisp, golden crust, zesty homemade sauce and gooey cheese makes this a family favorite any night of the week!
This Chicken Parmesan is my favorite dish to serve when I don’t have a lot of patience to put together a meal, but want to feed my family something warm, nourishing and absolutely delicious. My husband begs me to make it all the time.This recipe rivals the Chicken Parmesan on the menu at any Italian restaurant. Your family will devour this meal and ask for seconds!
Is Chicken Parmesan Easy to Make?
Yes! This Chicken Parmesan recipe calls for wholesome, easy to find ingredients, the you probably already have in your fridge and pantry. That’s what I love about this meal; it can be assembled easily without a lot of extra effort. But it tastes like you’ve slaved away for hours!
How to Make Homemade Sauce
This rich and savory Chicken Parmesan recipe begins with a savory homemade tomato sauce. Made with fresh tomatoes, onion, garlic and spices, this sauce is so much better than anything you get from a jar. It simmers for an hour, giving the spices and seasonings time to blend and for your house to smell like heaven! It just takes a bit of chopping and dicing but it’s worth the extra effort.
Can Chicken Parmesan Be Made Ahead of Time?
Yes! The delicious sauce can be made ahead and frozen for up to a couple of months. You can bread your chicken and store it in the refrigerator for about 24 hours. You can also boil the spaghetti noodles and store in the refrigerator for up to three days. To reheat the sauce, warm in a saucepan on the stove. Then bake the chicken as directed in the recipe card below, warm up the noodles and you’re in business!
Can You Freeze Chicken Parmesan?
Absolutely. As mentioned above, the sauce freezes beautifully. To freeze the chicken, completely wrap the chicken in plastic wrap or foil and place in freezer. Add fresh cheese before assembling your meal before serving.
Is Chicken Parmesan Gluten Free?
To make this recipe gluten-free, substitute GF panko breadcrumbs for original, and serve over gluten free pasta.Make sure to READ LABELS at the grocery store, and you should be fine.
Why Bake Chicken Parmesan in the Oven?
This Baked Chicken Parmesan recipe requires no deep frying at all! Because the chicken is covered in breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese, it bakes up crisp and golden on the outside, juicy and tender on the inside. Baking the chicken keeps the calorie count down as well, so you can afford to smother the whole thing in yummy, gooey cheese!
More Perfect Parmesan Dishes
If you’ve got Parmesan on your mind, we’ve assembled a few of our favorite cheesy favorites packed with tangy parm. Enjoy!
- Parmesan Pull Apart Bread
- Parmesan Baked Potato Halves
- Paprika Parmesan Chicken
- Parmesan Crusted Tilapia
- Parmesan Herb Baked Mahi Mahi
- Chicken Parmesan Stuffed Shells
How to Make Chicken Parmesan
FOR THE SAUCE:
- 7-8 garden tomatoes if you don't have garden tomatoes, I would suggest using 1 large can of crushed tomatoes and 1-2 cans of diced tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 2 Tbsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 Tbsp. dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can tomato sauce small
- If you are using fresh tomatoes, peel them and mash them with a potato masher in a medium-sized bowl. Add salt and pepper, set aside.
- Heat a little vegetable oil in a large skillet and saute onion and garlic.
- When onions are clear, add the crushed and diced tomatoes.
- Add basil, oregano, parsley, sugar, salt and pepper and bring to a good rolling simmer.
- Add tomato sauce (to thicken it up a little bit). It still may seem a little watery, but trust me, it thickens up quite a bit after it simmers.
- Reduce heat a little and simmer uncovered for at least an hour, stirring occasionally.
- About 20 minutes prior to serving, put chicken in a Ziplock bag and add beaten egg and garlic.
- Smash all the air out of the bag, seal tightly, then work the chicken around a little bit so it is covered in egg.
- On a plate or pie pan, combine bread crumbs, parsley, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.
- Heat some oil on medium heat in another large skillet.
- Remove chicken from egg mixture and press into the bread crumbs.
- When covered in bread crumbs, add the chicken to the oil. Brown on each side.
- Place chicken on a greased cookie sheet and bake in the oven at 375-degrees for about 12 minutes or until no longer pink. In the meantime, cook spaghetti to al dente.
- Remove chicken from oven, add 2 slices of cheese per chicken breast, then return to the oven for about 2 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Layer on individual plates: spaghetti, sauce, then chicken.