Loaded Mashed Potatoes are a tasty way to use up extra mashed potatoes from holiday meals or Sunday dinner. A cheesy, creamy side to so many meals!
Loaded Mashed Potatoes
Loaded Mashed Potatoes are a terrific answer to the question “what do we do with all these leftover mashed potatoes?” For some reason I can’t ever estimate how many potatoes to make for a meal, so I always end up with plenty left over. This recipe completely changes the flavor of regular mashed potatoes and can be served alongside ham, chicken, steak, fish, just about anything! They’re so creamy, cheesy, and full of flavor.
Suggestions for Loaded Mashed Potatoes
- To start off this recipe, you’re going to need some good mashed potatoes. Try our PERFECT mashed potatoes recipe for the creamiest fluffiest mashed potatoes ever. Usually we make this recipe for Sunday dinner, then turn the leftovers into Loaded Mashed Potatoes during the week.
- The big secret to the Loaded Mashed Potatoes is adding a Hidden Valley Ranch packet. That’s what gives you the most flavor in the actual potatoes. If you don’t like using prepared packets, there are plenty of recipes out there to make your own. Just look up “homemade ranch packet” on Google and you’ll be swimming in DIY options!
- Make sure to have plenty of bacon, cheese and green onions on hand for this recipe. Chop the bacon into small pieces before cooking. This speeds up the cooking process and I don’t have to worry about burning myself when I try to crumble it later.
- I love using extra sharp cheddar cheese in this recipe for a tangy flavor, but you could use any cheese you like. Monterrey Jack, Mexican Blend, or even Pepper Jack cheese are delicious alternatives.
- If you’re worried about the green onion flavor being too overpowering, soak them in water for a few minutes before dicing and adding to the potatoes. Soaking green onions takes down the flavor just a bit. You can do that with red and white onions as well! Just make sure to dry off the onions really well with a paper towel before adding them to the potatoes.
More Tasty Potato Recipes
Much of our family resides in Idaho, so we know and love our potatoes! Here are a few of our most cherished potato recipes. Try them all and find your favorites!
- Twice Baked Potatoes
- Parmesan Baked Potato Halves
- Slow Cooker Au Gratin Potatoes
- Pesto Potatoes
- Cheesy Potato Casserole (Funeral Potatoes)
- Dutch Oven Potatoes
How to Make Loaded Mashed Potatoes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine mashed potatoes, sour cream, ranch dressing mix, 1 cup cheese, bacon and onions.
- Spread into large casserole dish. Bake for 25 minutes or until heated. Remove from oven and sprinkle top with remaining 1 cup cheese.
- Return to oven and bake for an additional 5 minutes, or until cheese on top is melted.
- Garnish if desired with extra bacon and green onions.
- Serves 6-8