This Breakfast Monte Cristo Sandwich is a delicious twist on a classic! Sweet and savory meet together in this easy to make, decadent breakfast sandwich.
Breakfast Monte Cristo Sandwich
Breakfast Monte Cristos are the most requested breakfast at my house for birthdays and holidays. The combination of sweet and savory flavors is melt in your mouth amazing. Fried egg, ham, and Swiss cheese are nestled between two thick slices of French toast and cooked to perfection. I love to serve this sandwich dusted with powdered sugar and topped with sweet raspberry jam. It’s so yummy! But, be warned, this is a very filling and satisfying breakfast. You won’t be hungry again until dinner.
Suggestions for Making Monte Cristos
- I have had the most success making this Monte Cristo sandwich on a thick, dense bread. A light bread doesn’t hold the syrup/egg mixture and tends to fall apart when grilling. A thicker bread holds together much better and holds the sweet taste of the syrup.
- Another key to making this extra delicious is the jam you use to dip the sandwich in or spread a little on as you take each bite. Our favorite is raspberry preserves, but it is also very good with apricot jam…and don’t forget to sprinkle on a little powdered sugar!
- If you want “non-breakfast” Monte Cristos just switch out the fried egg and add more deli black forest ham or deli turkey.
- This works well as a main dish, or as an appetizer. If you serve them as an appetizer, just cut it up into fourths and stick a toothpick in them.
- This recipe makes two large sandwiches, so be sure to adjust your ingredients if you’re cooking for a crowd.
- Because this is such a large, filling sandwich, we recommend serving it alongside a simple fruit such as grapes or strawberries.
More Delicious Breakfast Recipes
Looking for more decadent ways to start your day? We have you covered with these scrumptious and easy breakfast recipes:
- California Breakfast Casserole
- How to Make Hash Browns the RIGHT Way
- McDonald’s Egg McMuffins
- Biscuits and Gravy
- BEST Homemade Cinnamon Rolls
- Hawaiian French Toast
How to Make Breakfast Monte Cristo Sandwich
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 c. maple syrup
- 1/4 c. milk
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla
- 4 slices artisan wheat bread any dense wheat bread works well
- 2 Tbsp cream cheese
- 3 slices deli black forest ham deli turkey, or both
- 2 eggs fried (middles poked and spread out so the eggs lay flat)
- 2 slices Swiss cheese
- powdered sugar
- Raspberry Jam or any jam you like
- Mix eggs, maple syrup, milk, and vanilla together with a fork and pour in a shallow dish. Spread a good amount of cream cheese on each slice of bread. Add the ham and turkey, a fried egg, and a slice of Swiss cheese to one slice of bread and top with another slice of bread making a sandwich.
- Dip each sandwich in the egg mixture and turn over so the the entire outside of the sandwich is coated in the egg mixture. Cook on a griddle or in a frying pan as if you were making French toast.