This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
This Monte Cristo Breakfast Sandwich is a delicious twist on a classic! Sweet and savory meet together in this easy to make, decadent breakfast sandwich.
Monte Cristo Breakfast Sandwich
Breakfast Monte Cristos are the most requested breakfast at my house for birthdays and holidays. The combination of sweet and savory flavors is melt in your mouth amazing. Fried egg, ham, and Swiss cheese are nestled between two thick slices of French toast and cooked to perfection. We first discovered the Monte Cristo Sandwich on the menu at Disneyland in Cafe Orleans. It was love at first bite! I l serve this sandwich dusted with powdered sugar and topped with sweet raspberry jam. It’s so yummy! But, be warned, this is a very filling and satisfying breakfast. You won’t be hungry again until dinner.
Suggestions for Making Monte Cristo Sandwiches
- I have had the most success making this Monte Cristo sandwich on a thick, dense bread. A light bread doesn’t hold the syrup and egg batter and tends to fall apart when grilling. A thicker bread holds together much better and holds the sweet taste of the syrup.
- Another key to making this extra delicious is the jam you use. Dip the sandwich in a bowl of jam or spread a little on as you take each bite. Raspberry preserves, strawberry jam, and apricot jam are all great choices. Don’t forget to sprinkle on a little powdered sugar!
- If you want “non-breakfast” Monte Cristo sandwiches just switch out the fried egg and add more deli black forest ham or deli turkey.
- You can also use Gruyere cheese instead of Swiss.
- This works well as a main dish. It also makes a great appetizer if you cut the sandwich into fourths and stick a toothpick in them.
- This recipe makes two large sandwiches, so be sure to adjust your ingredients if you’re cooking for a crowd.
- Because this is such a large, filling sandwich, we recommend serving it alongside a simple fruit such as grapes or strawberries.
READ NEXT: 33+ Super Easy Breakfast Ideas
More Monte Cristo Sandwich Recipes
If you love Monte Cristo Sandwiches, try these variations. The Easy Monte Cristo Sandwiches are made with crescent rolls filled with ham and Swiss cheese. The Monte Cristo French Toast is also filled with turkey, ham and cheese. An egg mixture is poured over the top. Make it the night before, then bake the next morning.
How to Make a Monte Cristo Breakfast Sandwich
Monte Cristo Breakfast Sandiwch
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 artisan wheat bread slices any dense wheat bread works well
- 2 tablespoon cream cheese
- 3 slices deli black forest ham deli turkey, or both
- 2 eggs fried (middles poked and spread out so the eggs lay flat)
- 2 slices Swiss cheese
- powdered sugar
- raspberry Jam or any jam you like
- Mix eggs, maple syrup, milk, and vanilla together with a fork and pour in a shallow dish.
- Spread a good amount of cream cheese on each slice of bread. Add the ham and turkey, a fried egg, and a slice of Swiss cheese to one slice of bread and top with another slice of bread making a sandwich.
- Dip each sandwich in the egg mixture and turn over so the the entire outside of the sandwich is coated in the egg mixture.
- Cook on a skillet or in a frying pan over medium heat as if you were making French toast.