This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
Nicea’s Yogurt Pancakes with Homemade Syrup are the best pancakes ever! The yogurt in the pancakes and in the syrup gives both a rich texture and flavor.
Featured with this recipe
My sister-in-law, Nicea, made these for me the last time I went to visit her. This is probably one of the best pancake recipes that I have ever cooked on a griddle. Normally, I am not the biggest pancake fan, but I could eat these yogurt pancakes all day. YUM! You definitely need to try these! They are soft and fluffy, yet perfectly dense. After you see how easy (and DELICIOUS) these yogurt pancakes are, you will never go back to making pancakes from a mix again.
For the pancakes:
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Plain yogurt or buttermilk
- All-purpose flour
For the syrup:
- White sugar
- Plain yogurt
- Corn syrup
- Baking soda
The Homemade Yogurt Syrup:
The pancakes on their own are amazing, but the syrup… the syrup is liquid heaven. It is smooth, slightly creamy, and perfectly sweet. I really could probably drink it through a straw. I promise, you will not be disappointed. It is SO GOOD. Try it on waffles, French toast, crepes, even ice cream!
Frequently Asked Questions
The baking powder helps the pancakes the rise, so without it, you will have very flat pancakes.
Two reasons why you could have dense pancakes are having too much egg in the batter, which makes the pancake more dense and custard-like, and also over-mixing, which can make your pancakes chewy and dense. When mixing, a good idea is to just mix until the streaks of your dry ingredients have disappeared, but leave the lumps.
If you aren’t feeling like maple syrup, you still have options for some delicious pancakes! Try a dollop of yogurt, a sprinkle of raspberries and blueberries (or any fresh berries that you love), chocolate chips, a cut up banana, sliced peaches or apples, jam, whipped cream, peanut butter, almond butter, nutella, caramel sauce, nuts, molasses, or honey. Alternatively, try any of these options in combination with each other, you’ll ‘flip’ for these pancakes!
READ NEXT: 33+ Super Easy Breakfast Ideas
Need more breakfast ideas? Give these a try too!
How To Make Yogurt Pancakes with Homemade Syrup
Nicea’s Yogurt Pancakes with Homemade Syrup
- Electric Griddle
For the pancakes:
- Mix all ingredients in a large bowl. If it seems too thick, stir in milk a little at a time until it reaches a good "pancake batter" consistency.
- Bring first four ingredients to a boil in a large pot. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and whisk constantly for 5 minutes. Add baking soda and vanilla. Remove from stove and serve over pancakes, waffles or french toast. (The syrup will be thin– this is normal. After it cools off a bit it thickens up. Store any extra syrup in the fridge for later use.)
- **The baking soda will make it boil high so make sure you use a large pot.***
- The protein, calcium, and vitamin goodness of these yogurt pancakes can last longer than breakfast! If you have some leftover from your morning batch, place them in an airtight container and place them in the fridge. To reheat, you can pop them in the toaster.
- They will last for 2 days in the fridge.
Love this recipe?
We want to hear from you! Please leave a review.