Easy Biscuits and Gravy Recipe
Biscuits and Gravy is the ultimate comfort breakfast food, especially popular in the South, but always requested at our Idaho breakfast table. Warm, spicy, rich and filling, this recipe really sticks to your ribs, making it a hearty breakfast or dinner. My girls ask for this recipe every year on their birthdays, and I happily oblige. We make a huge batch of fluffy biscuits and smother them with the rich, creamy gravy for breakfast, sometimes for lunch and even dinner. We like to add a tiny bit of cayenne for some heat. That’s the beauty of this recipe; you can make it as mild or as spicy as you like. Serve it with a simple side of fruit or a smoothie and you have a glorious breakfast that everyone will love!
What Kind of Sausage Should I Use for Biscuits and Gravy?
Generally we like to use regular Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage for this recipe but you could use any kind of pork sausage you like. I’ve made it with spicy Italian sausage which adds a real kick. Try sweet Italian sausage too! Any flavor of ground sausage will work. You could also omit sausage altogether and opt for bacon pieces.
Suggestions for Easy Biscuits and Gravy
- You can make homemade biscuits if you like, or use a biscuit mix like Bisquik. I usually bake them up while whisking together the gravy. But if you want to keep it even more simple, pop open of refrigerated biscuit dough and call it good. I like the flaky layered biscuits but any kind will work perfectly.
- Opt for whole milk for this recipe. You’ll want to keep things as creamy and rich as possible, and I find that using whole milk helps to make the most decadent gravy ever.
- Save the grease from browning the sausage for the gravy. It adds a real depth of flavor that just can’t be beat! This is not the time to count calories; just enjoy the rich dish. Everything in moderation, right?
What to Serve with Biscuits and Gravy
Because this recipe is rich and creamy, we like to serve it with a light dish of fresh fruit, berries, melon or grapes. Or create a breakfast feast with a few of these recipes:
- Our Version of Orange Julius
- Banana Berry Smoothie
- Easy Breakfast Casserole
- Make-Ahead Breakfast Parfaits
- Omelet in a Bag
- Cool Cucumber Green Smoothie
How to make Easy Biscuits and Gravy
- Cook sausage in large skillet until browned. Remove from pan and pat off excess grease with a paper towel. Return to pan and add flour, stir to coat the sausage in the flour. Then gradually add milk while cooking on medium heat. Cook and add milk until sauce is desired thickness. Add salt, pepper, and cayenne.