This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
California Breakfast Casserole is loaded with sausage, avocados, and tomatoes. All your favorite California omelet flavors in one hearty casserole, perfect for sharing!
California Breakfast Casserole
This California Breakfast casserole is layered with all the yummy goodness of a California style omelet in a family baked style. It’s one of my favorite breakfast dishes, especially when we have a crowd over for breakfast. I love making this on a warm summer morning and serving out on the patio, but it’s just as scrumptious on Christmas morning! Fresh and light, this breakfast casserole comes together in just minutes. It’s the perfect recipe to together the night before, store overnight in the fridge, then bake it in the morning. And it’s ideal for company, because it makes 12 generous servings. Serve with a side of fruit or toast and you have a healthy, hearty breakfast that everyone will love!
Suggestions for California Breakfast Casserole
- Layering the right way will ensure the breakfast casserole bakes evenly and sets up perfectly. Start with a layer of breakfast sausage patties, and top that with tomatoes and avocados, and then a thick layer of egg and hash browns all topped off with melted cheddar cheese.
- We like to smother our slices of breakfast casserole with sour cream and salsa or diced tomatoes.
- If you are weirded out by the avocado being cooked– don’t! It tastes great! However, if you must leave it out of the casserole and just want to use it as a garnish, that is a tasty option too.
- Using a cup of milk in the recipe makes the egg and hash brown mixture more light and fluffy. But we have made it without and it has turned out fine.
- If your casserole is still runny after baking, this is most commonly caused by now thawing out the hash browns before cooking.If you make the mix the night before you can definitely use frozen hash browns, they will thaw out in the fridge overnight. But if you’re preparing it the day of, make sure to thaw your hash browns before assembling the casserole.
READ NEXT: 33+ Super Easy Breakfast Ideas
More Delicious Breakfast Dishes
Sweet or savory, breakfast recipes are some of our very favorites! Try our Slow Cooker Breakfast Casserole and traditional Breakfast Casserole for savory options. But if you are in the mood for something sweet that will feed a group for breakfast you should try our Strawberry and Cream Cheese French Toast or Caramel Apple French Toast! During the fall one of my favorites is our Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake, and if I have company over Christmas I like to make a batch of our Eggnog French Toast with Gingerbread Syrup.
How to Make California Breakfast Casserole
California Breakfast Casserole
- Line the bottom of a greased 9×13 pan with sausage.
- Layer tomatoes and avocado slices over sausage.
- In a bowl, beat eggs and milk.
- Stir in all other ingredients.
- Pour hash and egg mixture over the sausage, tomatoes, and avocados.
- Bake at 350 for 45 min or until well set.
- Top with extra cheddar right after pulling out of the oven so it melts all over the top.
- Serve with salsa, diced tomatoes, and sour cream.