Red Beans and Rice is a hearty, flavorful recipe that comes together easily in the crock pot. Add ham and sausage and you’ve got a scrumptious supper or side dish!
Slow Cooker Red Beans and Rice
This is one of our favorite easy suppers to make any night of the week. This crock pot red beans and rice recipe originally came from my friend, Becky, who made it for my family one evening. We could not get enough! I’ve tried many Red Beans and Rice recipes over the years and this is hands down my favorite! There’s something about the blend of flavors and textures in this dish that is so satisfying. My family loves the extra veggies and the smoky sausage that adds such flavor dimension. Whether you’re celebrating Mardi Gras or just craving some good old fashioned comfort food, this recipe is the perfect one for you!
Suggestions for this Recipe
- For an added spicy kick, try Tony Chachere’s Original Creole Seasoning. It adds just the right amount of spice to this recipe and so many others. We love this stuff!
- To kick up the heat even more, add a few shakes of Tabasco sauce.
- If you have leftover ham for any reason, toss it in! It adds so much flavor to the beans. But no need to rush out and buy a ham bone. Because it cooks all day in the crock pot, the recipe is definitely savory and flavorful without.
- Red beans and rice with sausage is my favorite! We use either smoked chicken or turkey sausage. It’s lower in fat so it keeps the calories down and allows me to have an extra bowlful or two. But you can use any kind of sliced sausage you like. My husband likes a super spicy Andouille sausage in this recipe too.
- This recipe calls for carrots, green pepper, onions and celery, but you can add other veggies too! Or serve with a side of corn on the cob or collard greens for a well rounded meal.
Are Red Beans and Kidney Beans the Same Thing?
Red beans and kidney beans are actually two different types of beans. Red beans are smaller and look more like pinto beans but red in color. However, they are still pretty similar in flavor and texture, so if you don’t have red beans you can absolutely substitute kidney beans in this slow cooker recipe.
More Crock Pot Recipes
Slow Cooker meals are a terrific way to get dinner on the table with very little effort. Try a few of these savory and oh so satisfying suppers:
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Rice Soup
- Slow Cooker Au Gratin Potatoes and Ham
- Crock Pot Beef Vegetable Soup
- Slow Cooker Irish Beef Stew
- Crock Pot BBQ Baked Beans
How to Make Slow Cooker Red Beans and Rice
- Meaty ham bone a leftover spiral-sliced ham works great!
- 2 cans chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 celery stalks sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon Tony Chachere's Original Creole Seasoning love this stuff!
- 2 cans red or kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 12 ounces Smoked Turkey or Chicken Sausage lower fat, sliced
- 3 carrots shredded
- 1 green pepper chopped
- 4 cups cooked rice any rice will work, I like Calrose rice
- Place meaty ham bone in a large crockpot. Add chicken broth, water, onion, celery, bay leaves, and Tony Chachere's Original Creole Seasoning.
- Cook for 4-6 hours on high, or 8-10 hours on low.
- Remove ham bone. When cool enough to handle, cut meat off the bone and coarsely chop into bite size pieces. Discard bone and return chopped ham to crockpot.
- Add kidney beans, sausage, shredded carrots, and chopped green pepper to the crockpot and stir.
- Cook another 1 hour on high setting.
- Cook rice on stovetop or in rice cooker.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Serve in bowls over hot, cooked rice. Season to taste with salt and pepper, extra Tony Chachere's Original Creole Seasoning, or tabasco sauce.
This post contains links to Amazon.com. Please note that Amazon prices tend to change often so prices may be higher or lower without notice.