Crock Pot Red Beans and Rice is a flavorful recipe that can easily be made with a leftover ham in the slow cooker. A great main dish OR side dish!
My friend, Becky, made these Crock Pot Red Beans and Rice for my family and I could not get enough! I have tried many Red Beans and Rice Recipes, but this is my new favorite. There is something about the blend of flavors and textures in this dish that is so hearty and satisfying. She was kind enough to share the recipe with me and I make it all the time. What I love about this recipe is the extra vegetables and the lower-fat sausage. It gives me an excuse to have seconds. Whether you’re celebrating Mardi Gras or just craving some good comfort food – this recipe will not disappoint. The secret ingredient is Tony Chachere’s Original Creole Seasoning. It adds just the right amount of spice to this dish.
Red Beans and Rice
- Meaty ham bone a leftover spiral-sliced ham works great!
- 2 cans chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 celery stalks sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 Tbsp. Tony Chachere's Original Creole Seasoning love this stuff!
- 2 cans red or kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 12 oz. Smoked Turkey or Chicken Sausage lower fat, sliced
- 3 carrots shredded
- 1 green pepper chopped
- 4 cups cooked rice any rice will work, I like Calrose rice
- Place meaty ham bone in a large crockpot. Add chicken broth, water, onion, celery, bay leaves, and Tony Chachere's Original Creole Seasoning.
- Cook for 4-6 hours on high, or 8-10 hours on low.
- Remove ham bone. When cool enough to handle, cut meat off the bone and coarsely chop into bite size pieces. Discard bone and return chopped ham to crockpot.
- Add kidney beans, sausage, shredded carrots, and chopped green pepper to the crockpot and stir.
- Cook another 1 hour on high setting.
- Cook rice on stovetop or in rice cooker.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Serve in bowls over hot, cooked rice. Season to taste with salt and pepper, extra Tony Chachere's Original Creole Seasoning, or tabasco sauce.
This post contains links to Amazon.com. Please note that Amazon prices tend to change often so prices may be higher or lower without notice.