Slow Cooker Chicken and Rice Soup is an easy slow cooker chicken soup recipe. All of the raw ingredients go in the slow cooker and a delicious soup awaits for dinner.
Chicken Soup of any kind is so comforting, why is that? It really is good for the body and soul, especially when you are feeling a little under the weather. Studies have shown that Chicken Soup has anti-inflammatory properties that soothe irritating cold symptoms like coughs, sore throats, and runny noses. The other ingredients in the soup – carrots, celery, onions – also have anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Dr. Oz posted an interesting article that gives more details about this called “You Wanted to Know: Chicken Soup.”
What I love most about this Slow Cooker Chicken and Rice Soup is the blend of seasonings. They give this soup just the right amount of flavor to complement the chicken and rice. Be sure to use seasonings that are still fresh. If they have been sitting in the pantry for over 6 months, they will not taste as vibrant. If I have a seasoning that is losing it’s flavor, I grind it a little between my fingers before adding it to the soup. This will bring out more of the taste and smell.
Isn’t it romantic to use parlsey, sage, rosemary, and thyme all in one recipe? These seasonings complement each other so well. In case you haven’t guessed, I’m a big Simon and Garfunkel fan. My parents listened to their music when I was growing up and I still listen to it today. I love the song Scarborough Fair. It was released on an album with the title, “Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, and Thyme. Scarborough is a town in England and in Medieval times there was a Fair there that lasted for 45 days! Parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme represented virtues that are important to the lyrics of the song. Parsley was comfort, sage was strength, rosemary was love, and thyme was courage. You can read more about it on songfacts.com. If you love this blend of seasonings as much as I do, you’ve got to try them in our Cranberry Sausage Stuffing. It is so good!
After learning this, I feel even better knowing the benefits of this Slow Cooker Chicken and Rice Soup! So many good things come from the chicken broth itself, and who doesn’t need comfort, strength, love, and courage? I hope all of this comes to you and more when you enjoy this delicious soup!
Is this Chicken and Rice Soup Gluten Free?
Yes! This is Chicken and Rice Soup can easily be made gluten free! Use a gluten free chicken broth, like Swanson’s Chicken Broth, and you are good to go!
Slow Cooker Chicken and Rice Soup Recipe Tips
- Use fresh seasonings, as mentioned above. Feel free to add more or less depending on your taste. I tend to use a little more because I love the taste of the seasonings in the soup – especially the sage and rosemary!
- If you want the rice to cook at the same rate as the chicken, be sure to use parboiled rice (also called converted rice). It cooks beautifully in the slow cooker. If you prefer brown or wild rice, prepare 1 cup uncooked rice according to the package directions and stir into the soup just before serving.
- If you are watching fat content, you can totally skip the butter. The butter gives a little more richness to the broth, but it is not necessary. The soup will taste just as good without it.
- This soup thickens when it cools. I love leftovers of this soup because the flavors really come out after it sits for a day or two, but it will be a thicker soup than when you eat it straight from the Slow Cooker. If you prefer a thinner soup, just add some water to it when re-heating to give it the consistency you desire.
- Serve this soup with a crusty bread or dinner roll. It is especially good with our Breadtwists!
How to make Slow Cooker Chicken and Rice Soup
Slow Cooker Chicken Rice Soup
- 3 chicken breasts, trimmed of fat and cut in half
- 1 cup parboiled rice* (also called converted rice)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 teaspoons salt
- pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons parsley
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon sage
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons butter, optional
- 9 cups chicken broth
Place all ingredients in order in a slow cooker.
Cook on low for 4 hours.
A few minutes before serving, remove the chicken from slow cooker and shred or cut into cubes.
Return chicken to the slow cooker, and let it cook for 5-10 more minutes.
*If you prefer brown rice or wild rice, leave the parboiled rice out of the slow cooker when adding the other ingredients. While the soup is cooking in the slow cooker, prepare 1 cup uncooked brown or wild rice according to the package directions (once cooked, this will yield approximately 3 cups of rice). Stir the cooked rice into the soup just before serving.
More Slow Cooker Soups to Try
- Slow Cooker Vegetable Beef Soup: This is one of the easiest soups you will ever make. A flavor-filled soup the entire family will love!
- Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup: There are so many different vegetables in this Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup. It is very healthy and hearty.
- Slow Cooker Cheese Tortellini Soup: This Cheese Tortellini Soup is a flavorful, easy slow cooker meal. Tortellini, sausage, and spinach in a creamy tomato soup and slow cooked to perfection.
- Slow Cooker Pasta E Fagioli Soup: Our version of the Olive Garden Pasta E Fagioli Soup tastes just like the original. It is an Italian seasoned soup easily made in the slow cooker.
- Slow Cooker Zuppa Toscana Soup: Many agree that this Zuppa Toscana Soup Olive Garden Copycat is actually better than the original! It has a creamy both base and is loaded with sausage and potatoes.