This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
Roasted butternut squash pizza has the rich flavors of Autumn on a flatbread pizza! Tasty butternut squash, kale, and bacon with lots of tangy cheese.
Featured with this recipe
This roasted butternut squash pizza is our go-to pizza in our house. Buttery garlic flatbread is topped with melted mozzarella cheese, crispy bacon, little bits of cooked kale, roasted butternut squash, and a sprinkling of parmesan.
This flatbread pizza may look super fancy but it’s completely simple to make! Serve with a simple side salad or some homemade breadsticks and you have a warm, nourishing, flavorful meal that is best served in front of a roaring fire on a chilly Fall evening.
Roasted Butternut Squash Pizza Ingredients
Looking at the ingredient list you are probably wondering how these ingredients are going to make a pizza. They are not your typical pizza toppings or even dough. This is what makes this pizza extra special! From the thick crust, kale and butternut squash combination, bacon for the win, all with melted mozzarella cheese. It is a combination you have to try!
- Naan flatbread – The thicker the dough, the better! It will be able to withstand the oven temperature as well as the ingredients on top without falling apart.
- Butternut squash – Prepare the butternut squash by cutting it into evenly small cubes and placing it on a roasting pan to bake.
- Kale – Some kale is bitter or hard to eat but with a combination of sweet squash and bacon, the kale really stands out and blends it all together. The green coloring from the kale also looks so beautiful and the appearance is amazing when serving to friends and family.
- Bacon – Everyone loves bacon! This is an add-in that we felt was a MUST. It gives that crisp texture on your first bite with a sweet treat.
- Mozzarella cheese – A smooth and creamy white cheese that melts perfectly overtop the toppings. This is a secret we do when making pizza. You double-layer the cheese! Layer some on the bottom then again over the top of the toppings to give it that melty cheese look and taste!
- Butter – Melt the butter in the microwave to brush over the dough. This gives the dough a crisp crust from the inside out.
- Garlic – This is a go-to ingredient for us! When in doubt, grab a garlic and you know it is going to be good!
How to Make Roasted Butternut Squash Pizza
Creating this delicious roasted butternut squash pizza is simple and has all the flavor from the first bite. Together this pizza has a sweet and savory flavor that gives this a comforting feel. It is the perfect combination of all seasons wrapped into one pizza.
- Roast – Place the pre-cut butternut squash squares on a roasting pan lined with cooking spray or toss in olive oil. Bake until it starts to soften and look roasted along the edges.
- Saute – In a small fry pan with a drop of oil, sauté the kale pieces until they soften slightly and turn a vibrant green color.
- Microwave – In a small dish, melt together the butter and garlic in the microwave for about 45 seconds.
- Layer – Place individual flatbreads on a cookie sheet, and brush each flatbread with the melted garlic butter. Sprinkle on a layer of mozzarella then top that with crumbled bacon, cooked kale pieces, roasted butternut squash, and then a sprinkling of parmesan cheese over everything.
- Bake – Melt in the oven just until the cheese melts. It should only take about 5 to 10 minutes.
Suggestions and Tips for Butternut Squash Pizza
This savory butternut squash pizza is one that you will remember and be making over and over again! Follow these tips and suggestions for making the best pizza with butternut. It is unusual and not always a popular choice in the pizza world but with these helpful ideas, you will be making one of the best dinners ever!
- How will you serve it? This yummy pizza is great as a main dish but can also be cut into squares for a colorful fall appetizer.
- Roasting – When baking the butternut squash close, it could take longer or shorter depending on the size of the squares that are cut.
- Sprinkle – Add sea salt over the top of the roasted butternut squash for an extra boost. This will also blend all the ingredients on top of the dough.
- Store-bought pizza dough – My biggest cheat for making this simple pizza naan bread. Naan bread is a very yummy Indian flatbread that you can find at most grocery stores. I have found it at Costco and all my local grocery stores. It is usually refrigerated. It makes a great base for flatbread pizzas, and they are the perfect size for individual servings.
- Sauce – We brush our pizzas with some garlic butter and opted out of using a sauce. But if you like your pizza a little saucier, Alfredo sauce makes a great base for these.
- Add – For more flavor and texture, add grilled caramelized onions to your pizza.
“Fast, easy and delicious. Perfect recipe for busy nights! Thanks.”-Laura
Frequently Asked Questions
If your butternut squash is soggy then you will want to raise the oven temperature to help it cook from the inside out. If your oven is too low in temperature it may not be able to finish cooking properly and will turn out mushy or soggy. You can also move the baking dish to a higher oven rack if needed.
With this recipe, we used a flatbread for the crust. Since the butternut squash is thick and needs a good base to hold it up, you will want a thicker type of crust. If you make a homemade crust make sure to have it thicker than normal.
No, not at all. You do not need to peel the butternut squash before baking.
Yes! Once baked or roasted in the oven the butternut squash pieces should be soft and tender to the touch. A fork should be able to easily sink through the crisp outer layer.
More Delicious Pizza Recipes
With all these yummy pizza recipe ideas, you’ll never call for takeout again! We have all the toppings on some, a light pizza, flavorful with extra meat, or an untraditional crust on some. Try some of our favorites!
Roasted Butternut Squash Pizza
- Place the pre-cut butternut squash squares on a roasting pan lined with cooking spray. Bake at 375 for 20 to 30 minutes, or until it starts to soften and look roasted along the edges (watch it close, it could take longer or shorter depending on the size the squares are cut).
- In a small fry pan with a drop of oil, sauté the kale pieces until they soften slightly and turn a vibrant green color.
- In a small dish, melt together the butter and garlic in the microwave for about 45 seconds.
- Place individual flatbreads on a cookie sheet, and brush each flatbread with the melted garlic butter. Sprinkle on a layer of mozzarella then top that with crumbled bacon, cooked kale pieces, roasted butternut squash, and then a sprinkling of parmesan cheese over everything.
- Bake at 375, just until cheese melts. It should only take about 5 to 10 minutes.
Love this recipe?
We want to hear from you! Please leave a review.