This Roasted Butternut Squash Flatbread Pizza is the pizza of fall. Mozzarella cheese, bacon, kale, roasted butternut squash, and parmesan all on flatbread.
This Roasted Butternut Squash Flatbread Pizza is the pizza of Fall. It is a buttery, garlic flatbread topped with melty mozzarella cheese, crispy bacon, little bits of cooked kale, roasted butternut squash, and a sprinkling of parmesan. Is your mouth watering yet? This yummy pizza is great as a main dish but can also be cut into squares for a colorful fall appetizer.
Don’t be intimidated by it’s appearance, this flatbread pizza is very easy to make. My biggest cheat is that I start with naan bread. Naan bread is a very yummy Indian flatbread that you can find at most grocery stores. I have found it at Costco and all my local grocery stores. It is usually refrigerated. It makes a great base for flatbread pizzas, and they are the perfect size for individual servings. My kids loved using it to make their own pizzas by picking their own toppings for their individual flatbreads
We brushed our pizzas with some garlic butter and opted out of using a sauce. But if you like your pizza a little more saucy, Alfredo sauce makes a great base for these. Also, a lot of people like to add grilled onions to their butternut squash flatbreads if you like grilled onions you can definitely try that, but I am not an onion fan so we leave those off. 🙂
- Place the pre-cut butternut squash squares on a roasting pan lined with cooking spray. Bake at 375 for 20 to 30 minutes, or until it starts to soften and look roasted along the edges (watch it close, it could take longer or shorter depending on the size the squares are cut).
- In a small fry pan with a drop of oil, sauté the kale pieces until they soften slightly and turn a vibrant green color.
- In a small dish, melt together the butter and garlic in the microwave for about 45 seconds.
- Place individual flatbreads on a cookie sheet, and brush each flatbread with the melted garlic butter. Sprinkle on a layer of mozzarella then top that with crumbled bacon, cooked kale pieces, roasted butternut squash, and then a sprinkling of parmesan cheese over everything.
- Bake at 375, just until cheese melts. It should only take about 5 minutes.