This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
Salted caramel pie might just be your new favorite dessert, especially if you love salted caramel chocolates (and who doesn’t!?). The combination of rich chocolate, buttery caramel, and sea salt is irresistible!
Featured with this recipe
This salted caramel pie is the perfect combination of everything sweet, savory, and oh, so good! Simple ingredients for a simple pie! This pie is perfect because it isn’t fluffy, or cream-filled, or fruity. Just rich, chocolate, caramel goodness.
The bottom layer is an Oreo pie crust filled with caramel and topped with a chocolate ganache then sprinkled with a little sea salt. You are going to love the ganache layer, I have a cheat that makes this layer so incredibly easy to make. You will be putting it on everything!
What Ingredients are in a Salted Caramel Pie?
No oven is needed in making this salted caramel pie! It is that simple! You only need a few ingredients to make this sweet dessert. You will love have simple this pie is and how quickly it comes together!
- A pre-made Oreo pie crust – You could try to make your own, but buying one from the grocery store is so much easier!
- 75 wrapped caramels – To be honest, unwrapping these may be the hardest part of making the entire pie. This is a good job for tiny, nimble hands! Have your kids wash up and task them with this part.
- Heavy cream – This will thicken the pie and create a creamy, rich salted caramel sauce.
- Sea salt – The combination of chocolate, caramel, and sea salt is absolutely amazing! I used a coarse sea salt to add texture on top.
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips – Melt chocolate chips in a large bowl in the microwave. Stir together until creamy.
Homemade Oreo Crust
Still keep this recipe simple without using too many ingredients! Only Oreo cookies and melted butter. This Oreo crust will taste even better than the store bought and easy to make.
- If you are wanting to make your own Oreo crust, place a package of Oreo into a food processor and pulse until combined in a fine mixture.
- Add melted unsalted butter and press firmly into a 9-inch pie plate covering the whole area.
How to Make Caramel
If you don’t have wrapped caramels on-hand. Simply boil condensed milk until is caramelizes. It will turn a light brown color. Once it caramelizes, pour into a pan and let the caramel setup or add it directly to the pie. The consistency of the caramel should still be thicker than a dulce de leche.
Tips, Add-ins, and Substitutions for Salted Caramel Pie
- Whisk in vanilla extract to the caramel. Add a little more flavor to the pie!
- Substitute the crust for a graham cracker crumbs and enjoy a little different flavor.
- Using a saucepan on medium-high heat, slowly stir the caramel until smooth and creamy. You can do this with the chocolate too.
- Add some seasonal spices to the melted caramel, like cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, a pinch of salt, or pumpkin pie spice.
What Our Readers Say
Still on the fence? Here’s what some of our readers have had to say about this salted caramel pie recipe.
“”That’s what I call a dessert! The proportion crust: caramel: chocolate topping is PERFECT and I am seriously drooling over this!”-Denisse
“Wow, such a nice pie recipe. And no baking nor cooking (other than some microwave, but that doesn’t count) is involved! You are such a genius. Thanks for sharing.”-Anita
“I think I’ve died and gone to heaven – is this real?! So so good!!!”-Ashley
Frequently Asked Questions about Caramel Pie
75 caramels is about 3 cups or about 16.5 ounces.
Caramel candies are made from boiling sugar until it turns a light brown color. Add in cream, butter, and vanilla that will create a creamy caramel. Let the caramel cool and it will become chewy and moveable.
Yes! Fudge is a highly grained caramel texture that has a high sugar crystal content and a moisture content that is in the normal range. The combination make a softer texture that breaks down to form a caramel.
This pie is great with vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, or cool whip.
Storing Caramel Pie
This pie is so easy to store in the refrigerator. Simply cover and set in the fridge for 5 to 7 days. When ready to serve, set out on counter until it reaches room temperature.
More Easy Pie Recipes
Pie is so easy to make and always a crowd pleaser! Try these favorite pie recipes that have all the flavor!
- Pumpkin Pie
- Island Pecan Pie
- Butterscotch Pie
- Lemon Meringue Pie
- Blackberry Pie
- Grasshopper Pie
- Pink Lemonade Ice Cream Pie
How to Make Salted Caramel Pie
Salted Caramel Pie
- Unwrap the caramels into a medium size, microwave safe bowl.
- Add the cream and salt to the caramels and microwave in 30 second increments, stirring each time.
- When the caramel is melted together and smooth, pour it into the Oreo pie crust and let it cool completely at room temperature. (I let mine cool overnight).
- Once the caramel has set you can make the ganache. In a microwave safe bowl add the ½ c. heavy cream and microwave on high for about 1 and ½ minutes, or until the cream just begins to boil on the edges of the bowl.
- Remove and immediately add the chocolate chips.
- Stir until the chocolate chips completely melt and are all stirred in- leaving a creamy chocolate.
- Pour the chocolate over the caramel and let sit at room temperature for a few hours until the chocolate sets up.
- Before serving, sprinkle each slice of pie with a little sea salt.
How to Store Salted Caramel PieThis pie is so easy to store in the refrigerator. Simply cover and set in the fridge for 5 to 7 days. When ready to serve, set out on counter until it reaches room temperature.
Love this recipe?
We want to hear from you! Please leave a review.