This Pumpkin Pie Recipe is a delicious holiday dessert. Learn to make the Perfect Pumpkin Pie – it’s easy with this recipe and step-by-step photos.
Pumpkin Pie Recipe
There is something about making your own pumpkin pie that you just don’t get when you buy your pie from a store. I think some of it is the amazing way that your house smells when it is baking but, more importantly, it just tastes so much better! We have eaten a LOT of pumpkin pies in our times, and we believe this is the best pumpkin pie recipe. In addition to being delicious, it’s really such an easy pumpkin pie recipe. There are also some cheats to make it even easier- like pre-made pie crusts and canned whip cream, cool whip, or vanilla ice cream.
Step 1: Gathering the Ingredients
For this recipe, you’ll just need a few simple ingredients.
- Pie Crust (See Step 2)
- Canned Pumpkin Puree – This is the base of the whole recipe. Make sure you are using pure, 100% pumpkin purée NOT pumpkin pie filling.
- Evaporated Milk – This adds moisture and creaminess to the filling.
- Sugar – The sugar adds the perfect amount of sweetness to the pie filling.
- Eggs – Make sure to use large eggs. These act as a binder and add fluffy texture to the filling.
- Spices – For this pumpkin pie recipe we use cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, salt, and cloves. You can also use pumpkin pie spice in a pinch!
- Whipped Topping or Ice Cream for Serving – Use store-bought or make your own with whipping cream, sugar, and vanilla extract.
Step 2: Pie Crust
For this pumpkin pie recipe, you can use a store-bought crust, or make it yourself. We have done it both ways and it is always delicious. If you want to make your own crust, we recommend using our Perfect Pie Crust Recipe. We prefer our pumpkin pie with a single crust and no top crust. Sometimes we use the extra pie dough to make decorations around the side of the crust, as you can see below. For the decorations, we just cut out shapes using cookie cutters and placed the shapes around the sides. Then, brush the cutouts with some milk and sprinkle with coarse sugar for even baking and added flavor.
Step 3: Mix the Filling
In a large bowl, crack the eggs and whisk until blended. Then, add the sugar and spices and whisk again. Add the pumpkin puree and stir until combined. Then slowly pour in the evaporated milk while stirring.
Step 4: Fill and Bake
Pour the filling mixture into the uncooked pie shell. Bake at 425 for 15 minutes and then turn the oven temperature down to 350 and bake for 40 to 50 minutes until a toothpick in the center comes out clean. If the top of the crust starts to look too brown before the middle is done, you can cover the top with aluminum foil.
Step 5: Serve – Easy as Pie!
Pumpkin Pie is one of those “some like it hot, some like it cold” type of recipes. My husband’s parents actually prefer it right at room temperature. I like it cold with lots of whipped cream as you can see in the picture. I love it for dessert and my husband loves to eat it for breakfast the day after Thanksgiving. However, no matter how you prefer to eat it, you are going to love this sweet and spiced pumpkin pie! To get a perfect slice, score the top of the pie and cut through the filling with a serrated knife. Then, to get through the crust use a paring knife. Finally, use an offset spatula to serve that perfect slice. Finally, top with whipped cream or ice cream.
More Pumpkin Recipes
If you are in the mood for more pumpkin treats after this pumpkin pie recipe, try out these delicious pumpkin recipes.
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins – These muffins are are the perfect treat with moist pumpkin cake and little pockets of chocolate.
- Pumpkin Steamers – This pumpkin drink with warm you on a cold, autumn day. The drink is rich and creamy with flavors of pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger.
- Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Coffee Cake – This delicious coffee cake has a cream cheese layer and crumb topping that is out of this world. It’s perfect for a breakfast, brunch, snack, or dessert.
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Mousse Cups – A smooth and creamy mousse that is simple to make, but looks elegant and tastes heavenly!
- Pumpkin Cobbler – This is a traditional fall dessert at our house. A creamy pumpkin pie like layer is topped with a crunchy, buttery, crust. It is incredible served warm with homemade whipped topping or vanilla ice cream.
- Pumpkin Drop Cookies – With only 3 ingredients, these cookies are quick and easy to make.
- Pumpkin Roll – This tasty Pumpkin Roll recipe is easy to make with an even easier homemade cream cheese filling! It is a delicious addition to your Fall baking checklist.
How to Make Homemade Pumpkin Pie
Traditional Pumpkin Pie
- 1 unbaked pie crust click the link for our Perfect Pie Crust Recipe
For the filling:
For the filling:
- Crack the eggs into a large bowl and stir until blended (I like to use a wire whisk). Then add the sugar and spices and stir again.
- Blend in the pumpkin and gradually stir in the evaporated milk.
- Pour the pumpkin mix into the unbaked pie crust and bake for 15 min at 425 degrees, then turn the oven down to 350 degrees and bake 40 to 50 more minutes or until a toothpick in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool completely before cutting.
For the whipped topping:
- Beat the whipped topping ingredients until stiff peaks form. Spoon onto cooled pie and sprinkle with cinnamon.