These Pork Tostadas are so easy! The pork is made in a slow-cooker and the tortillas are baked, not fried, making this a delicious, light meal.
These pork tostadas are so delicious and full of flavor.. you don’t even need to add any extra sauce or salad dressing! I adapted the pork (carnitas) recipe from the Food Network and it is my new favorite way to do shredded pork. We had the pork in tacos a few days after making the tostadas and they were out of this world good. Definitely keep this recipe on hand to use for a new taco/burrito/enchilada filling! You won’t be disappointed! Another thing I love about this recipe is that the shells are baked… they are nice and crispy in just a few minutes. YUM.
- 1 Lb. boneless country-style pork ribs or you can use pork shoulder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 onion coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 Tbsp. chopped jalapeno you can use fresh but I actually like it from a jar the best
- 1/2 orange peel and all
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- Salt and pepper pork liberally. Combine the oregano and the cumin with olive oil and rub all over pork. Place the pork in a slow cooker and top with the onion, garlic, and jalapeno. Squeeze the orange over the pork (removing any seeds) and place the orange half in the slow cooker with the pork. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high 3-4 hours.
- Once the meat is tender, remove from slow cooker and let cool slightly before pulling apart with a fork. In a large saute pan, heat the canola oil over high heat. Press the shredded pork into the oil and fry until crusty on one side, cover and set aside.
- In the meantime, preheat oven to 425-degrees. Cover a cookie sheet with aluminum foil and place tortillas on top. Brush each tortilla with oil on both sides and bake for 5 min on one side. Flip tortillas over and bake an additional 2-3 minutes or until tortillas become crispy.
- Place about 1/4 c. of the pork mixture on each tostada (you will have leftover pork... heats up great for leftovers). Top with lettuce and additional toppings and serve!