This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
This Unicorn Hot Chocolate Recipe will make your childhood dreams come true. This is a great treat for any slumber party, unicorn-themed birthday party, or even snow days. It is so sweet and creamy, you can’t help but smile when drinking it!
Featured with this Recipe:
Unicorn Hot Chocolate is all the rage right now. It can be found at a cute coffee shop in California called “Creme & Sugar” but unfortunately that is hundreds of miles from where we live. I knew my girls would go NUTS over it, so I just had to come up with my own Unicorn Hot Chocolate recipe. It is SUPER easy to make. If you want to make it even easier, you can just buy the white hot chocolate mix. I just like homemade better.
Ingredients in Unicorn Hot Chocolate
- White chocolate chips, I like Ghiradelli brand
- Vanilla extract
- Pink food coloring (or any color to your liking)
- Whipped cream to taste
- Sprinkles for garnish
Cute and delicious
For those of you who know me, you know I have a house FULL of girls. That’s right, no boys (except my poor husband who gets to deal with all the fun girl drama). They are all about rainbows, unicorns, glitter, and sprinkles. They adore all that kind of stuff. So, when I surprised them with this Unicorn Hot Chocolate, you can imagine how their little hearts just about exploded with excitement. They couldn’t dive into the liquid rainbow concoction fast enough. Granted, it took them a good four hours to get down from their sugar high, but it totally made their day.
Warmth to your soul
My girls loved this so much they are already talking about how they want to do a “tea party” with all their friends and serve this stuff. OKAY, I’ll admit it. I was skeptical when I first saw pictures of the unicorn hot chocolate. You never know how a unicorn is going to taste, but I had a cup myself and it was actually really good. I will be honest, I liked mine best without the marshmallows, but the kids loved them. The vanilla hot chocolate was hot and smooth. It warmed me to the core on this FREEZING day here in Boise (really, it is 6-degrees here at this very moment).
This unicorn hot chocolate recipe is just FUN. It is bright, has beautiful colors, and you can’t help but smile when you are drinking it. It makes the most visually beautiful mug of hot chocolate that I’ve seen. If you have little girls (boys too!!), who are into the pink sparkly rainbow stuff, you have got to make this for them. They will flip! This would be perfect for birthday parties too! The kids could each “decorate” their own unicorn hot chocolate. Seriously, so so fun. Give it a try! You know you want to.
Frequently Asked Questions
We used whipped cream, mini marshmallows, and plenty of rainbow sprinkles to top our hot chocolate. You could use some chocolate syrup, mini sugar pearls, or any other colorful sweets you think will add that touch of unicorn magic to your hot cocoa. I have even seen unicorn marshmallows occasionally at the store which adds a rainbow of colorful marshmallows to this whimsical treat.
I personally prefer to make it fresh on the stove, but you can use any white chocolate flavored hot cocoa mix (I think Swiss Miss has a good one) and it will still make a very delicious drink.
The recipe calls for a medium saucepan but if you want to make a half batch, a small saucepan works great.
READ NEXT Christmas Dessert Recipes
More Hot Chocolate Recipes
If you have read through all this and still aren’t convinced, you may want to try one of our other hot chocolate recipes!
- Mexican Hot Chocolate – Inspired by the movie “Chocolat,” this Mexican Hot Chocolate uses bittersweet chocolate and just a pinch of cayenne pepper to give it a kick. Take a sip and magic awaits…
- CANDY BAR Hot Chocolate – A variety of delicious hot chocolates inspired by our favorite candy bars. This includes recipes for Almond Joy Hot Chocolate, Reese’s Hot Chocolate, and Twix Hot Chocolate. Yum!
- CANDY CANE Hot Chocolate – This is the perfect drink for cold winter days! I love the sweet and creamy white chocolate with a hint of peppermint and the melty crunchy candy cane pieces mixed in.
- FROZEN Hot Chocolate – This recipe tastes just like the frozen hot chocolate at Dairy Queen. It is cold and frothy, but has all the delicious chocolate taste of a hot cup of cocoa.
How to Make Unicorn Hot Chocolate
Unicorn Hot Chocolate Recipe
- Place the white chocolate chips, half-and-half, milk, and vanilla in a medium-sized sauce pan.
- Heat over medium heat, whisking continuously until hot (do NOT boil).
- Whisk in food coloring until you get your desired color.
- Add to individual mugs and top with whipped cream and sprinkles.
- We used whipped cream, mini marshmallows and plenty of rainbow sprinkles to top our hot chocolate. You could use some chocolate syrup, mini sugar pearls, or any other colorful sweets you think will add that touch of unicorn magic to your hot cocoa.
- I have even seen unicorn marshmallows occasionally at the store which adds a rainbow of colorful marshmallows to this whimsical treat.
- For the whipped cream, you can whip your own or use the stuff in the canister to simplify things.
- Food coloring is not necessary, you can leave it out if you prefer not to use it.
Love this recipe?
We want to hear from you! Please leave a review.