I LOVE this Frozen Hot Chocolate recipe. I used to get these drinks from Dairy Queen in high school and now I can make them at home!
Frozen Hot Chocolate
What Type of Chocolate to Use
For this recipe I like to use semi-sweet chocolate. I like the way the bitterness balances out the sweetness in the other ingredients. However, if you are a milk chocolate fan and you love the sweetness that totally works too! You can use chocolate chips, baking chocolate, or chocolate bars. Anything that melts well. I typically use Ghirardelli baking chocolate bars.
Ideas for Serving
Make Your Own Whipped Cream
While it is convenient to use whipped cream out of a can (and believe me WE DO), homemade whipped cream tastes so delicious! You can use either to top off your mugs of Frozen Hot Chocolate. Try our homemade whipped cream recipe below.
Homemade Whipped Cream
- 1 pint Whipping Cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
Using a stand mixer or hand mixer, whip the cream until soft peaks form. Add the sugar and vanilla and whip until stiff peaks form.
Other Hot Chocolate Recipes
- Unicorn Hot Chocolate
- Candy Bar Hot Chocolate – Three Different Ways
- Peppermint Hot Chocolate
- Mayan Hot Chocolate
- Hot Chocolate Mix
How to Make Frozen Hot Chocolate
- 5 oz chocolate we like Marabou from Ikea and/or a few different kinds of Ghiradelli
- 2 tsp. hot chocolate powder mix I like to use Stephens-brand hot chocolate mix
- 1 1/2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 c. milk
- 3 c. ice to make it a little more rich, use frozen milk cubes
- whipped cream for serving
- Chocolate shavings for serving
- Chop the chocolate into small pieces. Melt in a double boiler or by microwaving for 30 seconds at a time, stirring between each time, until fully melted.
- Add the hot chocolate mix and sugar to the melted chocolate. Stir until blended.
- Slowly add half a cup of the milk, and stir until smooth.
- In a blender, place the remaining cup of milk, the chocolate mixture, and the ice. Blend on high speed until smooth.
- Pour into cup or mug and top with whipped cream and chocolate shavings.
- Blendtec Blender