I LOVE this Frozen Hot Chocolate recipe. I used to get these drinks from Dairy Queen in high school and now I can make them at home!
Frozen Hot Chocolate
I LOVE this Frozen Hot Chocolate recipe. In my high school years I remember walking up to our local Dairy Queen and getting these with my friends. It was so nice that everything was pretty much within walking-distance where we grew up. So many fond memories! Now, I recreate this recipe at home for my kids. There’s nothing better than drinking this cool, creamy, chocolatey drink on a hot summer day!
What Type of Chocolate to Use
For this recipe I like to use semi-sweet chocolate. I like the way the bitterness balances out the sweetness in the other ingredients. However, if you are a milk chocolate fan and you love the sweetness that totally works too! You can use chocolate chips, baking chocolate, or chocolate bars. Anything that melts well. I typically use Ghirardelli baking chocolate bars.
Ideas for Serving
In my opinion this tastes best in either a frosted mug or a styrofoam cup. If you want to make it more like a frozen hot chocolate shake, add more milk and a scoop of chocolate ice cream – yum! Switch things up and try different flavors of cocoa. I have used both mint and raspberry-flavored cocoa and they are both delicious in their own ways. I liked the mint slightly better, just because I love mint and chocolate. It kind of tastes like a grasshopper shake. Give these a try! You will love them!
Make Your Own Whipped Cream
While it is convenient to use whipped cream out of a can (and believe me WE DO), homemade whipped cream tastes so delicious! You can use either to top off your mugs of Frozen Hot Chocolate. Try our homemade whipped cream recipe below.
Homemade Whipped Cream
- 1 pint Whipping Cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
Using a stand mixer or hand mixer, whip the cream until soft peaks form. Add the sugar and vanilla and whip until stiff peaks form.
Other Hot Chocolate Recipes
Are you more of a hot chocolate traditionalist? As in, you like your hot chocolate actually hot? Well, then these recipes are for you!
- Unicorn Hot Chocolate
- Candy Bar Hot Chocolate – Three Different Ways
- Peppermint Hot Chocolate
- Mayan Hot Chocolate
- Hot Chocolate Mix
How to Make Frozen Hot Chocolate
- 5 oz chocolate we like Marabou from Ikea and/or a few different kinds of Ghiradelli
- 2 tsp. hot chocolate powder mix I like to use Stephens-brand hot chocolate mix
- 1 1/2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 c. milk
- 3 c. ice to make it a little more rich, use frozen milk cubes
- whipped cream for serving
- Chocolate shavings for serving
- Chop the chocolate into small pieces. Melt in a double boiler or by microwaving for 30 seconds at a time, stirring between each time, until fully melted.
- Add the hot chocolate mix and sugar to the melted chocolate. Stir until blended.
- Slowly add half a cup of the milk, and stir until smooth.
- In a blender, place the remaining cup of milk, the chocolate mixture, and the ice. Blend on high speed until smooth.
- Pour into cup or mug and top with whipped cream and chocolate shavings.
- Blendtec Blender
More delicious summertime drinks…