I love General Tso’s chicken. More times than not, this is what I will order at Chinese restaurants. It has a little more of a kick than sweet and sour chicken and I like the flavor better. I came up with this recipe the other day when I didn’t have a lot of time in the late-afternoon to prepare dinner.. so I made this during my kids’ naptime.
- 2 Lb. chicken breasts (cut into 1" pieces)
- 1 c. flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1/2 c. "lite" soy sauce
- 1/2 c. unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1/2 c. white distilled vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp. fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/4 c. cornstarch, mixed with 1/4 c. water
- 4 green onions, sliced
- Combine flour, salt, and pepper in resealable food storage bag. Add chicken. Shake to coat with flour mixture.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Brown chicken about 2 minutes on each side (it doesn't need to be cooked all the way through at this point). Set aside.
- In the Crock Pot, whisk sugar, soy sauce, pineapple juice, vinegar, garlic, ginger, and cayenne until well combined.
- Add chicken to crock pot and cook on low for 3-4 hours. If you would like your sauce thicker add water/cornstarch mixture about 30 minutes before serving. Stir it in SLOWLY, folding it into the chicken. You won't want your breading to be scraped off of your chicken pieces so be gentle!
- Garnish with green onion and serve.
Don’t forget to enter the GIVEAWAY for your chance to WIN one of TWO iPad Minis!!!!