Crock Pot General Tso’s Chicken has a little more of a kick than sweet and sour chicken, and better flavor. A great chicken recipe for the crock pot!
Crock Pot General Tso’s Chicken
I love this version of General Tso’s chicken. More times than not, General Tso’s chicken is what I will order at Chinese restaurants. It has a little more of a kick than sweet and sour chicken and I like the flavor better. Before this recipe I would always make our original recipe for General Tso‘s but ever since I came up with this crock pot version, I haven’t gone back to the old one (the old one is equally delicious… this way is just a little easier). I came up with this crock-pot version the other day when I didn’t have a lot of time in the late-afternoon to prepare dinner. I made this during my kids’ naptime. This pairs great with our restaurant-style fried rice recipe!
If you say “Tso”
Sometimes the most difficult part of ordering food in an ethnic restaurant is pronouncing the names without sounding like an idiot. There are a lot of differing thoughts on the pronunciation of this favorite Chinese food dish in America. According to SpoonUniversity.com, it is perfectly acceptable to pronounce it “so” — just omit the “T.” But according to my husband, Jared’s, experience working in a Chinese restaurant, it is more correctly pronounced “chow.” Either way, you are going to want to be eating this amazing General Tso’s Chicken while you think about saying the recipe name.
More recipes like Crock Pot General Tso’s Chicken
If you like the ease of crock pot cooking, or the flavor of Chinese food, check out some of these recipes below:
- Chinese BBQ Pork (Char Siu)
- Crock Pot Cashew Chicken
- Coconut Curry Chicken with Peanuts
- Sesame Chicken Stir Fry
How to make Crock Pot General Tso’s Chicken
- 2 pounds chicken breasts cut into inch pieces
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup "lite" soy sauce
- 1/2 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup white distilled vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 teaspoon fresh ginger finely grated
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup cornstarch mixed with 1/4 c. water
- 4 green onions sliced
- Combine flour, salt, and pepper in resealable food storage bag. Add chicken. Shake to coat with flour mixture.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Brown chicken about 2 minutes on each side (it doesn't need to be cooked all the way through at this point). Set aside.
- In the Crock Pot, whisk sugar, soy sauce, pineapple juice, vinegar, garlic, ginger, and cayenne until well combined.
- Add chicken to crock pot and cook on low for 3-4 hours. If you would like your sauce thicker add water/cornstarch mixture about 30 minutes before serving. Stir it in SLOWLY, folding it into the chicken. You won't want your breading to be scraped off of your chicken pieces so be gentle!
- Garnish with green onion and serve.
- Crock Pot Slow Cooker