This is a very favorite recipe that I got from my friend Charisse. I made this chicken in basil cream sauce for my parents once and my Dad said this was the best chicken he had ever had! It is so good. Whenever we are having company over for the first time, this recipe is right at the top of the “impress our guests” list! The chicken is pan crusted in italian bread crumbs, and the basil cream sauce that you pour over the top is to die for! In fact, I now use the cream sauce in a lot of other recipes, it is so much better than any sauce you make with a can!
|Chicken in Basil Cream Sauce|| |
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 4 chicken breasts cut into halves (8 pieces)
- ¼ cup margarine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 tsp dried basil
- ⅛ tsp pepper
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Optional: I like to pound and flatten the chicken out a little so it cooks evenly throughout.
- Place milk and bread crumbs in seperate shallow bowls. Dip chicken in milk, then coat with crumbs. In a skillet over medium heat cook chicken in butter until browned on both sides. Remove chicken from skillet and keep in a 9x13 pan in the oven on warm.
- Add chicken broth to skillet and stir to loosen up browned bits from pan. Stir in cream, basil, and pepper and bring to a boil. Turn heat to low and whisk in parmesan cheese. Pour sauce over the chicken and serve.