This Mashed Potatoes Recipe results in the perfect mashed potatoes every time. The potatoes are light, fluffy, and buttery. The perfect side dish for turkey and gravy, roasted beef, or pork.
Best Mashed Potatoes
Mashed potatoes can be tricky. They can easily get too thin or too whipped, too chunky or not chunky enough… and it really depends on your taste! In our opinion, our Mom makes the best mashed potatoes. They are thick, but smooth… dense but not dry. Always perfect every time… and this is her mashed potatoes recipe.
A Must-Have for Sunday Dinner
I remember so many Sundays spent at the kitchen sink peeling potatoes for Sunday dinner, usually two of us were assigned to the peeling. No matter how many potatoes that we peeled there never seemed to be enough, they would always get completely polished off. I think the mashed potatoes were everyone’s favorite dish of the whole meal. When my brother was a teenager he would create a mashed potato mountain on his plate, I wish I had a picture to show you how many mashed potatoes he could put down in one sitting. It was unreal. Haha!
Mashed Potatoes With Gravy
These potatoes are so good on their own… BUT… they are my favorite with GRAVY. Here are some of our very favorite homemade gravy recipes to serve with mashed potatoes:
- Turkey gravy (seriously, this gravy is to die for)
- Beef Gravy
- Country Gravy (included with our Chicken Fried Chicken recipe)
Recipes That Go Well With Mashed Potatoes
Mashed potatoes go well with just about any kind of roasted, slow cooked, or fried meat. Here are some of our favorite recipes where we serve mashed potatoes as a side dish:
- Slow Cooker Roast Beef
- Crock Pot Pork Chops
- Italian Beef Roast
- Beef Goulash
- Crock Pot Steak and Gravy
- Instant Pot Pork Chops
- Slow Cooker Pork Roast
- Parmesan Chicken with Basil Cream Sauce
- …and so many more! Search “mashed potatoes” in our search bar for even more recipes that go well with mashed potatoes or that use mashed potatoes in the actual recipe!
More Potato Recipes
We are big fans of all kinds of potato dishes. It’s kind of a requirement if you live in Idaho. Here are some of our other favorite potato side dishes that go great with any meal. Find them all in our Potato Recipe Roundup HERE!
How to make the Perfect Mashed Potatoes
- Peel potatoes and cut into quarters. Place potatoes in a large stockpot and cover with water, add salt (about 1-2 tsp.) and bring to a boil. Allow to boil for about 20-25 minutes or until the potatoes fall apart when poked with a fork.
- Combine milk and butter in a microwave safe bowl and place in the microwave for about 40 seconds or until butter is melted. This makes it so the milk doesn't cool off your potatoes when you add it.
- Drain potatoes and mash with a potato masher or mix in a stand mixer with whisk attachment. If you do a stand mixer, make sure to keep it on low to medium speed.
- Slowly add milk/butter mixture until you reach your desired consistency adding more milk if you want the potatoes to be thinner.
- Mash in sour cream and salt & pepper. Serve immediately.
- *If you can't serve right away keep potatoes warm in an oven safe dish covered with tin foil and placed in the oven to keep warm at about 300 degrees.