This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
This Antipasto Vegetarian Pizza is made with a fresh creamy garlic sauce then topped with mozzarella cheese, tomatoes, fresh basil, artichokes, and avocado. Fresh, filling and tasty, you’ll never miss the meat!
Antipasto Vegetarian Pizza
This Antipasto Vegetarian Pizza is a filling appetizer pizza that we recreated after visiting a local restaurant in the Boise area. It’s piled high with lots of yummy veggies, cheese and the most glorious garlic cream sauce made from scratch. If you’re looking for a fun dinner idea for a date night in, a girls’ night meal or just a relaxing Friday night with the family, try this recipe. Tastes way better than take-out and can be made in just about the same amount of time as waiting for pizza delivery.
Homemade Pizza Crust
Making pizza dough from scratch is actually really easy and it tastes so much better than anything you can find at the grocery store. Try our recipe for our Homemade Pizza Dough and see for yourself. Roll it out as thick or thin as you like. My husband loves a really thin crust pizza, so I opt for a thin crust and a thicker one for me and the children. You can even use it to make breadsticks or cheesy bread to go along with your pizza using the same recipe.
Garlic Sauce for Pizza
The star of this antipasto pizza is the creamy garlic sauce that you smooth all over the dough instead of tomato sauce. Simple ingredients blend together in no time to make a rich, delicious sauce that gives the pizza flavorful depth and warmth. Here’s all you need:
- Lots of fresh garlic. I like to use at least three or four good sized cloves, enough to make a couple of teaspoons of minced garlic. Make sure to watch your garlic as it cooks so it doesn’t burn.
- Butter and Flour to create a roux, which will help the sauce thicken.
- Milk. For this recipe try to use whole milk or at least 2% to get that creamy texture for the sauce.
- A few shakes of dried oregano and basil. You can use fresh if you have it on hand, which would be delicious.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
Vegetarian Pizza Toppings
When it comes to pizza toppings for this vegetarian pizza, the sky’s the limit! Use whatever you have on hand, anything that looks like it needs to be used up in your fridge. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Spinach and Arugula mix
- Artichoke hearts (diced, from a can)
- Pepperocinis (diced)
- Cherry tomatoes
- Sliced black olives
More Pizza Recipes
Homemade pizza can be so much fun to make and the possibilities are endless! Some fresh dough, cheese and your choice of toppings, and you have a pizza party worth staying home for. Try some of our favorite recipes:
- Healthy Pizza (only 350 calories)
- Mediterranean Flatbread Pizza
- French Bread Pizza
- Veggie Pizza Squares
- BBQ Chicken Cilantro Pizza
- Gino’s Deep Dish Chicago Style Pizza Copycat
Antipasto Vegetarian Pizza
- Pizza Dough see recipe HERE
- 2 cups freshly shredded mozzarella cheese
- 6 fresh basil leaves sliced into strips
- 1 c. spinach and arugula mix
- 1 small jar artichoke hearts drained and diced
- 1/2 c. pepperoncinis sliced
- 1/2 c. cherry tomatoes cut into halves
- 1 can sliced olives drained
- 1 avocado reserved for the end
- Roll the dough out into a circle a little larger than your pizza pan, then gently fold the edges over to make the crust. Use a fork to create holes all over the dough, then bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. Then let the crust cool for 5 minutes.
- While cooking the dough, make the garlic sauce by melting the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and let simmer til the garlic starts to brown. Stir in the flour then immediately start stirring in the milk, a little at a time. Once milk is stirred in add, salt, pepper, basil, and oregano and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Smooth the garlic sauce over the crust, then sprinkle generously with cheese and top with all the veggies (except the avocado). Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes, then remove from oven to cool. Sprinkle with freshly diced avocado.