This homemade pizza dough recipe is the perfect start for your favorite kind of pizza. The recipe yields two large pizza crusts, so feed the whole family or freeze one for later.
This is the only homemade pizza dough recipe I ever use. It is so easy to prepare and, unlike some dough recipes I have tried, it tastes delicious! This pizza dough recipe makes enough dough for two large pizzas. You can make two pizzas, or make one and freeze one, or use the second to make breadsticks instead. The dough keeps great in the freezer, just be sure to bring the dough to room temperature again before rolling out.
Pizza Sauce Ideas
- Traditional Red Sauce
- Alfredo Sauce
- BBQ Sauce
- Pesto Sauce
- Oil and Garlic
- Ranch Dressing
- Teriyaki Sauce
- Peanut Sauce
- Thai Chili Sauce
- Garlic Aioli
- Sun Dried Tomato Sauce
- Creamy Red Pepper Sauce
Pizza Topping Ideas
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Black Olives
- Green Peppers
- Red Peppers
- Ground Beef
- Canadian Bacon
Favorite Pizza Recipes
This pizza dough recipe is a great base for all of our favorite pizza recipes. Think outside the cheese and pepperoni box. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Lemon Chicken Pizza – If you haven’t tried thin slices of lemon on pizza, you are missing something great! It is so refreshing and flavorful.
- Turkey Bacon Avocado Pizza – This pizza is topped with turkey, crisp bacon, and fresh avocado with lots of cheese. It’s all the flavors of a club sandwich on a delicious pizza crust.
- Antipasto Pizza – A garlic cream sauce replaces the traditional red pizza sauce on this pizza. Spinach, artichoke hearts, pepperoncinis, cherry tomatoes, and olives make this a delicious, vegetarian pizza option.
- Thai Peanut Chicken Pizza – Our version of the California Pizza Kitchen’s Thai Chicken Pizza tastes just like the original. The Thai flavors on this pizza are mouth-watering good!
- BBQ Chicken Pizza – BBQ Chicken Pizza is always a favorite! It features barbecue chicken, pineapple, cilantro and plenty of cheese.
- Garlic Ranch Pizza – Who doesn’t love garlic and ranch in their pizza sauce? When you add bacon, chicken, tomatoes, and mozzarella, it creates a pizza that will have everyone begging for more.
How to Make Pizza Dough
Homemade Pizza Dough Recipe
Combine water, sugar and yeast in small bowl. Let sit 5 minutes. Mix flour and salt together in the bowl of a heavy duty mixer fitted with dough hook. Add oil to yeast mixture.
Pour yeast mixture into flour mixture and knead on low speed for 10 minutes. (If mixing by hand, knead dough for same amount of time.) Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl, turning to coat. cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
Punch dough down and divide in half. Shape into 2 balls. lightly brush dough balls with olive oil and cover completely with plastic wrap. Let rise another 45 minutes. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
Lightly grease pizza pan or dust with cornmeal. Take each dough ball and using your fingers, pat it out from the center to the edge, leaving the outer edge a bit thick. Top with favorite toppings.
Bake 10-15 minutes until edges are golden brown.
How to Freeze Pizza DoughYou can freeze the dough after the first or second rise.
- If you are freezing after the first rise, punch the dough down and divide it into two balls as directed in the recipe. Place the dough balls in the freezer on a cookie sheet. After the dough is frozen, place the dough balls in freezer resealable plastic bags. To thaw, let the dough come to room temperature (about 1 hour) and then let it rise another 45 minutes.
- If you are freezing after the second rise, freeze the dough balls and then place them in freezer resealable plastic bags. To thaw, let the dough come to room temperature (about 1 hour) and then roll out onto pizza pan.