BBQ Chicken Pizza, with tender grilled chicken, lots of cheese and a homemade sauce, is better than any restaurant variety!
BBQ Chicken Pizza
This BBQ Chicken Pizza with cilantro reminds me of a pizza we used to order at a local place when we lived in California. When we moved we had to make a version of our own at home and let me tell you, this recipe blows that restaurant pizza out of the water! Soft, homemade pizza crust, tender grilled chicken, two kinds of cheese and a tangy sauce pair beautifully with sweet pineapple and cilantro on top. I love making pizza at home; the kids get involved and it’s just a fun activity for the whole family. We opt for making our own pizza for Friday pizza night way more than ordering delivery. Try this recipe for your next pizza night!
Best Pizza Crust
I love using our Homemade Pizza Dough recipe for this and any other pizzas that we make. It’s really simple to make and you can double or triple the recipe easily to accommodate all those hungry eaters in your family. It tastes delicious as a thin crust or thicker crust too, so everyone is happy. Of course if homemade crust just isn’t your jam, there are so many varieties of frozen pizza dough or pre-made crusts at your local grocery store. Some pizza places even sell their dough so you can buy it from your favorite pizzeria.
Additional Toppings for BBQ Chicken Pizza
We love some sweet pineapple and the citrus flavor of cilantro on top of our pizza, but try a few of these other toppings too:
- diced red or purple onions
- red peppers
- blue cheese
- gouda cheese
- chopped spinach
This sauce is to die for! Start with some fresh garlic, then add a tomato base of tomato paste, sauce and finely chopped fresh tomato. If you have fresh oregano and basil on hand, use it! Otherwise, dried spices work great too. Don’t forget your cilantro! The final touch is a cup or so of your favorite barbecue sauce. I love Sweet Baby Rays but any bottled barbecue sauce will do. Mix it all together, following the directions in the recipe card below, and you won’t believe the unique and outstanding flavor!
More Perfect Pizza Recipes
We adore homemade pizza around here! Try a few of our favorite recipes or create your own for super fun pizza nights with your family.
- California Pizza Kitchen Thai Chicken Pizza (Copycat)
- Butternut Squash Flatbread Pizza
- Lemon Chicken Pizza
- Grilled Pesto Pizzas
- Mediterranean Flatbread Pizza
- Turkey Bacon Avocado Pizza
How to Make BBQ Cilantro Chicken Pizza
- prepared pizza dough uncooked
Prepare the Sauce
- Brown garlic in olive oil in the bottom of a sauce pan. Add everything else, except the BBQ sauce. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in BBQ sauce.
Make the Pizza
- Roll pizza dough onto a pizza pan or pizza stone.
- Spread the sauce evenly over the pizza dough.
- Top with cheese and pineapple.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 18 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Add grilled chicken slices and sprinkle with cilantro.
- Serve immediately.
- Outdoor Barbecue Grill