These crispy Black Bean Tacos are an easy weeknight dinner that your whole family will love. They taste amazing dipped in salsa or guacamole.
Black Bean Tacos
Turn any ordinary night into a Mexican fiesta! Serve these black bean burritos with some Restaurant Style Mexican Rice, a side dish of Grilled Mexican Street Corn and finish off the meal with these Baked Strawberry Mexican Empanadas. Delish!
My husband asks for these Black Bean Tacos ALL THE TIME. They are definitely in our regular dinner rotation and one of my favorite taco recipes to make. Not only are they easy to make and budget friendly, but they taste sooo good! I love the crispy taco shell, the flavorful black bean mixture, and the ooey-gooey cheese. When I have a couple of cans of black beans on hand I either make these tacos, or our Creamy Black Bean Soup with a big bowl of tortilla chips to dip.
Step by Step Instructions
- For these easy black bean tacos, first you want to make the filling. I like to sauté the spices and chilis in a large skillet in some oil over medium heat to really bring out those flavors in the sauce. Then you add the black beans, tomato juice, and cilantro and a pinch of salt and simmer it until almost all the liquid is gone. This makes it so the beans stick together and don’t fall out of the tacos.
- Next, you want to cook one side of the tortilla, then flip it. Place the filling and some cheese (we like to use Monterey Jack, but you can use a Mexican blend as well) on the crispy side of the taco shell. Then, close up the taco and press down so it flattens a little bit. Cook on both sides until the outside is crispy.
- Serve immediately with your favorite salsa (try our Homemade Salsa recipe), guacamole (try our Best Guacamole EVER recipe), sour cream, or any other topping you like!
Variations to this Recipe
- Once you have the basic black bean mixture, you can make change this recipe up a million different ways. Add ground beef or tender shredded chicken for more of a hearty meal.
- Swap flour tortillas for corn tortillas if you wish.
- Turn this recipe into a burrito bowl, by omitting the tortillas altogether and adding all the ingredients into a bowl.
- Try a squirt of lime juice, a dash of cumin, extra chili powder, some paprika, coriander, garlic powder, or some fresh oreghano for additional flavor.
- Add some quinoa to the mixture for extra bulk.
How to Store Leftovers
Leftover black bean mixture stores well in the refrigerator for up to three days. You can also freeze it in an airtight storage container in the freezer for up to a month. Thaw it out, then use the microwave for reheating.
What to Serve with Black Bean Tacos
These simple tacos are so versatile! You can add any kind of toppings you like: avocado, lettuce, pico de gallo, and jalapeno. Serve them with a side of chips and salsa. These are great as a whole meal, but if you are serving a crowd, you can round out the meal with some of our other favorite Mexican recipes.
If you are looking for another easy weeknight dinner, try our Easy Chicken Flautas too!
- Easy Restaurant Style Mexican Rice
- Restaurant Style Refried Beans
- Mexican Street Corn in a Cup
- Raspberry Fried Ice Cream Dessert
Black Bean Tacos
For the Taco Filling
For Taco Filling
- Heat olive oil in a pan over medium high heat. Add taco seasoning, minced garlic, onion powder, and diced green chiles. Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until garlic is fragrant.
- Add black beans, tomato juice, cilantro, and salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium. Cook, stirring frequently, until most of the liquid evaporates, about 10-12 minutes.
- Heat coconut oil over medium high heat. Cook a taco shell on one side. Then flip so the crispy side is facing up.
- Place filling on ½ of the taco shell, ~2-3 tablespoons. Top with shredded cheese.
- Close the taco and press down so the filling flattens a little bit. Cook on both sides until the outside of the taco is crispy. Repeat for the remaining tacos.
- Serve with guacamole or salsa.