These crispy Black Bean Tacos are an easy weeknight dinner that your whole family will love. They taste amazing dipped in salsa or guacamole.
Black Bean Tacos
My husband asks for these Black Bean Tacos ALL THE TIME. They are definitely in our regular dinner rotation. Not only are they easy to make and budget friendly, but they taste sooo good! I love the crispy taco shell, the flavorful filling, and the ooey-gooey cheese. When I have a couple of cans of black beans on hand I either make these tacos, or our Creamy Black Bean Soup.
Step by Step Instructions
- First you want to make the filling. I like to cook the spices and chiles in oil first to really bring out those flavors. Then you add the black beans, tomato juice, and cilantro and simmer it until almost all the liquid is gone. This makes it so the beans stick together and don’t fall out of the tacos.
- Next, you want to cook one side of the tortilla, then flip it. Place the filling and some cheese (we like to use Monterey Jack, but you can use a Mexican blend as well) on the crispy side of the taco shell. Then, close up the taco and press down so it flattens a little bit. Cook on both sides until the outside is crispy.
- Serve immediately with your favorite salsa (try our Homemade Salsa recipe), guacamole (try our Best Guacamole EVER recipe), sour cream, or any other topping you like!
What to Serve with Black Bean Tacos
These are great as a whole meal, but if you are serving a crowd, you can round out the meal with some of our other favorite Mexican recipes!
- Easy Restaurant Style Mexican Rice
- Restaurant Style Refried Beans
- Mexican Street Corn in a Cup
- Raspberry Fried Ice Cream Dessert
How to Make Black Bean Tacos
For the Taco Filling
For Taco Filling
- Heat olive oil in a pan over medium high heat. Add taco seasoning, minced garlic, onion powder, and diced green chiles. Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until garlic is fragrant.
- Add black beans, tomato juice, cilantro, and salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium. Cook, stirring frequently, until most of the liquid evaporates, about 10-12 minutes.
- Heat coconut oil over medium high heat. Cook a taco shell on one side. Then flip so the crispy side is facing up.
- Place filling on 1/2 of the taco shell, ~2-3 tablespoons. Top with shredded cheese.
- Close the taco and press down so the filling flattens a little bit. Cook on both sides until the outside of the taco is crispy. Repeat for the remaining tacos.
- Serve with guacamole or salsa.