It’s almost fall which also means we are coming into apple season and these Caramel Apple Cinnamon Rolls are the perfect fall treat! You are going to love the layers of swirled caramel and apple topped off with our yummy caramel frosting!
You can use your favorite caramel for this recipe, if I am pressed for time my personal favorite is the Mrs. Richardson’s butterscotch caramel- it is really yummy! It does need to be warmed up for this recipe so that it will easily spread over the dough. But when I feel like really making these cinnamon rolls over the top good, I will make my own butterscotch caramel (HERE).
So sometimes when I am craving cinnamon rolls or twists, but don’t want to make dough from scratch (like this time!), I use Rhodes bread dough instead. They actually have a sweet dough, but it’s hard to find, so I usually use their white bread dough. Honestly, I think it is every bit as good as dough from scratch but soooo much easier!!! I just put the dough in a bowl lined with cooking spray, cover it with plastic wrap, and let the dough raise overnight. It’s seriously one of my favorite cooking cheats! For you traditionalists out there, we have an awesome dough base if you still want to make it from scratch HERE. For those of you that like things easy, try my trick and I promise I won’t tell your friends. Everyone will think you put so much work into making these from scratch, they won’t be able to tell the difference, I promise!
- Roll the dough out into a large rectangular shape. Spread a little over half the jar of caramel all over the dough. On top of the caramel, layer thin sliced or shredded apple (I cored then shredded the apples in my food processor) Sprinkle generously with brown sugar, then lightly with cinnamon.
- Carefully roll the dough up into a long tube. Cut 1 and 1/2 inch sections and place on a greased cookie sheet. (It should make 2 cookie sheets worth / 24 cinnamon rolls)
- Let raise until almost double in size then bake at 375 for 10 to 15 minutes.
- While they are baking, mix together the frosting ingredients.
- Remove the cinnamon rolls from oven and cool for 10 minutes, then spread on caramel frosting. Then I like to drizzle on a little leftover caramel over the frosting.