The Best Homemade Cinnamon Rolls you’ve been craving are right here! This soft, fluffy recipe with the perfect blend of cinnamon and sugar, is topped with the most luscious cream cheese frosting. They’re so dreamy!
When we say the BEST Homemade Cinnamon Rolls, we don’t say it lightly. This recipe beats Cinnabon (gasp!) any day of the week. They’re like little pillows of perfection, with a cream cheese frosting you could eat by the spoon. We can still remember special weekend mornings, waking up to the smell of our mom’s freshly baked cinnamon rolls. Whip up a batch of these scrumptious rolls for your family this weekend!
Can You Make Cinnamon Rolls Ahead of Time?
This cinnamon roll recipe is the perfect thing to make the night or day before, freeing up plenty of time for lazy morning snuggling and relaxing. There are two times you can refrigerate the dough:
- After it is kneaded and before the first rise.
- After the dough has risen and is shaped.
Cover the shaped dough and keep in the fridge for up to a day. When you’re ready to bake, unwrap slightly and let it rise until doubled. Then bake, frost, and enjoy!
Can Homemade Cinnamon Rolls be Frozen?
Absolutely! Again, there are a couple of ways you can do this:
- Freeze them in the pan, unrisen and unbaked. When you’re ready to sink your teeth into sweet, yummy goodness, remove from the freezer and allow them to rise before baking.
- You can freeze them after they’re baked but before they’re frosted. Remove, allow to thaw and give them a nice thick coat of creamy frosting.
How to Reheat Homemade Cinnamon Rolls
It’s so easy to reheat this delicious cinnamon roll recipe. To reheat from frozen, thaw them on the counter until room temperature. You can pop the whole batch into the oven for about 20 minutes until heated all the way through. Or, you can microwave individual rolls for about 45 seconds, then stick them in the oven for a couple of minutes for fresh baked crust.
The Best Frosting for Cinnamon Rolls
Arguably, the best part of this cinnamon roll recipe is the creamy cream cheese frosting. Sweet but not too sweet, with a rich cream cheese flavor that complements the fluffy rolls to perfection. And if you frost them while they’re still warm, the luscious icing melts down into the sweet crevices. We always use our famous Cream Cheese Frosting for this recipe (see recipe card below). It is simply scrumptious!
More Recipes with Cream Cheese Frosting
While we’re on the subject, try a few of our most favorite frosting covered treats. You’re welcome.
- Pumpkin Sandwich Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Carrot Cake Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Coconut Cream Cake with Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting
- Lemon Buttermilk Cupcakes with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
- Pumpkin Roll
- Nothing Bundt Cakes White Chocolate Raspberry Copy Cat
Homemade Cinnamon With Pecans or Raisins
Why mess with perfection? Fluffy rolls and decadent frosting is perfect on its own, but if you’re like a few relatives we know, you can absolutely add nuts or raisins to this recipe. After you roll out the dough, sprinkle the cinnamon sugar mixture and add pecans, raisins, or any other ingredient you like, then roll it up and slice.
How to Slice Cinnamon Roll Dough
Once you roll up your dough into a “tube” shape you will want to slice off each individual roll (this is actually my favorite part). Don’t do this with a knife if you can help it! It will make it so your dough un-rolls and it will most-likely be uneven. The easiest thing to do is to get about 2 feet of dental floss and place it under the rolled dough, 1 inch from the end. Bring the floss up around the dough and cross it over the top, cutting through the dough and filling. Repeat at 1-inch intervals. WAY easier than using a knife.
More Delicious Cinnamon Roll Recipes
Plus, if you love a little more to your rolls, try a few of these mouthwatering recipes:
- Lion House Cinnamon Rolls
- Peaches and Cream Cinnamon Rolls
- Caramel Apple Cinnamon Rolls
- Biscoff Cinnamon Rolls
- Strawberry Cinnamon Twists
How to Make The BEST Homemade Cinnamon Rolls
The BEST Homemade Cinnamon Rolls
- In a small bowl, combine water, yeast, and sugar. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Heat milk in microwave for 2 minutes. Set aside.
- In a large bowl or heavy mixer combine milk, softened butter, salt and sugar. Mix together until butter is melted.
- Add eggs one at a time and 3 cups flour. Mix for 2 minutes. Add yeast mixture and 2 cups flour. Mix well.
- Let dough sit for 10 minutes. (If using a standing mixer…now is the time to change to a dough hook!) Continue to mix while slowly adding remaining 2 ½ cups flour. Dough will start pulling away from the sides of the bowl, but is still quite sticky. Beat 3 more minutes.
- Coat another large bowl with 2 tablespoons oil. Take dough out of mixing bowl and place in oiled bowl, turning over once to coat each side. Place clean towel over bowl and let raise in a warm spot for 45 minutes.
- After 45 minutes, put dough out onto floured surface. Knead by hand, adding a little flour if needed. DO NOT USE TOO MUCH FLOUR! You want dough to remain very soft!
- With rolling pin, roll dough into a rectangle shape about the size of a jelly roll pan (11×15 inch) and 1/4-½ inch thick.
- Melt ⅓ cup butter in microwave for 30 seconds or until just melted. Spread over dough.
- Sprinkle ¼ cup sugar and ¾ cup brown sugar over butter. Sprinkle cinnamon on top of sugars. Top with nuts if desired.
- Roll up starting with the long side; pinch seam to seal. Cut into 1 inch rolls (see notes above on how to do this) and place on greased cookie sheet or in 2 9×13 glass baking pans.
- Cover and let rise another 45 minutes.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 16-20 minutes or until lightly browned (Do NOT over-bake). Cool for 10 minutes before frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese, butter, and vanilla with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Slowly add powdered sugar, mixing constantly, until desired consistency is reached. (you may not need ALL of the powdered sugar)
- Spread over warm cinnamon rolls.