Easy Vinegar Marinated Cucumbers are a light, refreshing, summertime side dish. Add regular or cherry tomatoes to make it an even more colorful cucumber salad.
Easy Vinegar Marinated Cucumbers (Cucumber Salad)
Cucumber Salad just screams summer to me. Our mom often made these vinegar marinated cucumbers from our garden, and they were often a side dish to most of our evening suppers. The crisp, cold cucumbers soak up the sweet and tangy vinegar dressing and just taste so fresh and delicious. They are a great, light side dish for barbecues, picnics, or potlucks. You can serve immediately or store in the fridge to eat as a snack. Healthy and vibrant, you can add any other veggies you like for a flavorful summer cucumber salad. Your whole family will love this beautiful dish!
Suggestions for Cucumber Salad
- Turn the vinegar marinated cucumbers into a gorgeous summertime salad by adding cherry tomatoes or sliced tomatoes, some red onions and a splash of olive oil.
- You could also add green bell pepper, red or yellow peppers, slices of squash, or fresh herbs to the mix. There is no wrong way to dress up this salad.
- Any kind of onion will work for this cucumber salad recipe. I like red or purple onion for the color, but any onion you have on hand is great.
- You can make this recipe right before serving or ahead of time to let the cucumbers have longer to marinate. To do this, divide the cucumbers into a couple of quart jars and pour the vinegar mixture over the top instead of putting in Ziploc bags (as directed in the recipe card below). This makes it easier for snacking right out of the jar.
- You can store these vinegar marinated cucumbers in your fridge in a jar or air-tight container for up to 3 days. Any longer than that and the cucumbers will lose their “crisp-ness”. There is also a slight risk for microbes forming after 3 days, but I know some people keep them in their fridge and continue to eat them for up to a week without any issues.
More Fresh Side Dishes
- Roasted Vegetable Medley: This Roasted Vegetable Medley is a delicious, healthy, and easy side dish. The vegetables have just the right balance of tenderness and crispness.
- Asian Cucumber Salad: Another fresh, cucumber salad with an Asian twist! A great, low-calorie side dish.
- Light Greek Pasta Salad:Light Greek Pasta Salad a fresh, flavorful pasta salad that is perfect for lunch, dinner, potlucks, or BBQs! Great as a main dish OR a side dish!
- Side Salad with Homemade Greek Dressing:This flavor packed Side Salad with Homemade Greek Dressing is an amazing side to just about any meal! To make it a meal on it’s own, add some grilled meat.
How to Make Cucumber Salad
- Peel and slice cucumbers into thin slices.
- Cut onion in half and cut into very thin slices.
- Combine onions and cucumbers in a large Ziploc bag.
- In a separate, medium-sized bowl, combine remaining ingredients.
- Stir until sugar dissolves.
- Pour vinegar mixture over cucumbers and onions in the bag.
- Press out as much air as you can and seal bag.
- Refrigerate at least 20 minutes.
- Before serving, drain liquid and place in a serving bowl to serve.
- *See notes above for instructions on saving in refrigerator.