This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
Try this easy homemade hummus recipe for a classic hummus dip or spread. This is the perfect light dip for chips, crackers, and veggies, or a delicious spread on pita bread or sandwiches.
Featured with this recipe
This is an easy, basic recipe for hummus. Everything blends up smoothly in the blender with very little clean-up. Once you have the basic recipe down, you can flavor the hummus according to your taste. The possibilities are endless!
Create the best homemade hummus base in minutes! Skip the store-bought hummus and make your own at home with the ingredients you love. It is the perfect appetizer or snack! Easy to make ahead as well as a store for the next day. Combine all your ingredients for a great creamy dip!
Creamy Homemade Hummus Ingredients
Simple ingredients that you have in your pantry are ready to go for this easy hummus recipe. Blend these together and you are ready for a light lunch or a quick snack throughout your day. This homemade hummus is so delicious and has always been a favorite in our family!
- Garbanzo beans – These are soft bean that is easy to smash and can blend well. They don’t have too much flavor but just enough to add protein and deliciousness to the hummus!
- Fresh lemon juice – Freshly squeezed lemon juice adds that tangy, tart, and sweet balance to this homemade hummus.
- Garlic – Minced garlic adds in the rich, savory taste that is a comforting vegetable.
- Cumin – This is a rich and hearty seasoning that adds a great deal of flavor.
- Olive oil – Perfect for making this smooth and creamy with that extra flavor.
- Chicken broth – This adds flavor but also gives it the moisture and liquid it needs to still be light and creamy.
How to Make the Best Hummus
This creamy homemade hummus is too easy to make! Add all the ingredients to the food processor or blender and start mixing together. Once the hummus is a smooth and creamy consistency, you are ready to enjoy!
- Blend – Add everything but the basil leaves into a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth. If the mixture is too thick, add more water, about a tablespoon at a time until desired consistency.
- Start dipping – Serve with pita chips (we liked the tomato basil pita chips for this recipe).
Try Making Basil Parmesan Hummus
After making the base hummus recipe, add parmesan cheese when blending ingredients in the blender or food processor. Add the basil leaves and pulse a few times. Spoon the hummus mixture into a serving dish and top with sliced basil leaves and parmesan cheese.
Tips and Modifications for Easy Hummus
This homemade hummus is the base for making even more delicious flavors and textures. Garnish with your favorite toppings, add in flavor with seasonings and different beans, plus use the special sauce everyone loves! All these ideas are perfect for modifying and making the perfect dip!
- Garnish – Top the hummus with minced garlic cloves, roasted red pepper, sliced basil leaves, sun-dried tomatoes, sesame seeds, and/or roasted pine nuts.
- Flavors – You can make it in so many different flavors. For example, in this recipe, we try out basil parmesan, but there are so many varieties you can try. Roasted red pepper hummus, black bean, sweet potato, avocado, and even pumpkin hummus.
- Water – If your batch of dip seems too thick, add ice water to the blender or food processor.
- Seasonings – Add in a little more flavor with paprika, parsley, and cayenne pepper for a little more heat.
- Special sauce – Several people do love the taste of tahini. Use this when blending. It is a rich, creamy texture, with a tangy taste and flavor.
What to Dip and Spread
Choose your favorite vegetables, bread, cracker, or fruit to go in this hummus! Change your options and dippers each time you make it depending on the flavor combination!
- Bread – Warm pita bread, naan, pretzel bites, or any artisan bread.
- Veggies – Celery, carrots, bell peppers, snap peas, or cucumbers.
- Crackers and chips – Pita chips, tortilla chips, bagel chips, or Triscuits.
- Fruit – Sliced green apples or cherry tomatoes.
“This was fantastic. It’s a new treat e will be having often. I added a little bit more of straight chicken bouillion and we dipped chips. My son has allergies and this is a great option! Thank you!”-Brook
Frequently Asked Questions
For starters, hummus is a dip or spread made from chickpeas or other beans. Typically it is blended with olive oil, lemon juice, and garlic. The result is a healthy, textured, flavorful dip for veggies, bread, crackers, and more. Try it on our Rosemary Parmesan Focaccia Bread or pita bread.
Absolutely! Making homemade hummus takes the same amount of time as driving to the store and purchasing hummus. Making it is so simple, quick, and easy plus fun and rewarding. It is a healthy alternative too and it is even more delicious knowing what you are putting in the dip.
Yes! Hummus is healthy but all in moderation. It is known to be rich in nutrients. Chickpeas or garbanzo beans are high in fiber, polyunsaturated fatty acids, vitamins, and minerals. Altogether, this is a healthy and great source of nutrition for a snack or light lunch.
We don’t have tahini listed in the ingredient list but it is a favorite to most hummus lovers. If you are wanting tahini or the flavor from it peanut butter is often recommended as a substitute for it. You can also try cashew butter as well. It has a more neutral nut butter and plant-based flavor.
Storing Your Dip
This easy hummus is simple to store. Simply place it in an airtight container and store it for four to five days in the refrigerator. When ready to start dipping, stir the dip together and enjoy!
More Ways to Dip
If you like the idea of dipping veggies, fruit, bread, and more into something delicious, check out these amazing dip recipes.
How to Make Homemade Hummus
Easy Homemade Hummus
- Add everything but the basil leaves into a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth. If the mixture is too thick, add more water- a Tablespoon at a time until desired consistency.
- Serve with pita chips (we liked the tomato basil pita chips for this recipe).
- Optional: Garnish hummus with minced garlic, roasted red pepper, sliced basil leaves, sun-dried tomatoes, and/or roasted pine nuts.
For Basil Parmesan Hummus
- Include Parmesan cheese when blending ingredients in the blender or food processor.
- Add the basil leaves and pulse a few times.
- Spoon the hummus mixture into a serving dish and top with sliced basil leaves and parmesan cheese. (Optional- drizzle a little more olive oil over the top).
How to Store Homemade HummusThis easy hummus is simple to store. Simply place it in an airtight container and store it for four to five days in the refrigerator. When ready to start dipping, stir the hummus together and enjoy!
Love this recipe?
We want to hear from you! Please leave a review.