Whether you have been to Chipotle or not, now you can have Chipotle’s Crispy Chicken Tacos whenever you want! There is something about the crispy shell, the perfectly cooked and seasoned chicken, and the corn salsa topped with cheese, sour cream and lettuce that makes these tacos over the top tasty!!! I get these all the time, they are one of my favorite fast food items. And the best part is, you can make these pretty healthy too! Fun fact: the crispy tacos are lower in calories than the soft tacos! They are one of the lower calorie items on Chipotle’s menu. If you skip the cheese and sour cream they are under 500 calories, a much better option than a burrito, which is usually over 1000 calories! Chipotle does a corn salsa and a pico salsa, which combined is really similar to our fresh corn salsa, so we just use that to simplify things.
We first fell in love with Chipotle while we were living in California, we tried pretty much everything on the menu, but eventually what we kept going back for was the tacos. When we moved we were sad not to have one in the Boise area but within a few years we got a Chipotle in Boise and now we have 3 here!! I actually have a scar from the first restaurant that opened here. I’ll spare you the details but it involved me locking my keys and phone in my car and running back into the restaurant way too fast in flip flops. 🙂
- Crispy Taco Shells I like the ones from Trader Joe's
- white cheddar or jack cheese or both
- romaine lettuce chopped into thin slices
- our fresh corn salsa HERE
- sour cream
- 2 to 3 boneless chicken breasts
- 2 Tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- Filet the chicken so you have two thin halves of each breast. Mix together the taco seasoning and paprika and rub it all over the chicken. Grill over medium heat til you get nice grill marks and the chicken is fully cooked. Remove chicken from grill and chop it into one inch cubes.
- Warm your crispy taco shells, either in the microwave or oven (it makes them more crispy). Then layer each one with chopped chicken, salsa, lettuce, cheese, and sour cream.