Chipotle tacos are perhaps one of the most craveable foods on this planet! Whether you have been to Chipotle or not, now you can enjoy Chipotle’s Crispy Tacos whenever you want. These copycat Chipotle tacos are true to their namesake with a crispy shell, perfectly grilled and seasoned chicken, and corn salsa topped with cheese, sour cream and lettuce.
We first fell in love with Chipotle while we were living in California. I’m not kidding when I say we tried pretty much everything on the menu, but the one thing we went back for again and again? The crispy Chipotle tacos.
When we moved to Boise, we were so sad not to have one in the area. I’m happy to report we now have several in the area. I actually have a scar from the first restaurant that opened here. I’ll spare you the details but it involved me locking my keys and phone in my car and running back into the restaurant way too fast in flip flops. 🙂
What can I say? I was distracted by the draw of those Chipotle tacos! To this day, I still order these tacos more than any other fast food item. The best part? You can make them at home!
Chipotle Copycat Recipe
There are several components that go into making the Chipotle tacos so good:
- Crispy taco shells. You may be surprised to hear it, but the crispy taco shells are lower in calories than the soft tacos. Plus, they add a delicious crunch factor. They’re just plain fun!
- Grilled chicken. The soft, grilled chicken is the perfect counterpoint to the crispy shell. The chicken in the Chipotle tacos are expertly seasoned, so our copycat had to be as well. We use taco seasoning with a pinch of paprika to keep it tasty and simple.
- Corn salsa and pico. I’m pretty obsessed with the salsa offerings at Chipotle. It’s very similar to our fresh corn salsa, so we just use that to simplify things.
- Shredded cheese, lettuce, and sour cream. You can leave these off if you like, but they definitely add to the flavor profile.
Another fun thing about these tacos is how customizable they are. If you want to try a different salsa, or even make these with steak, go ahead! You can even experiment with different cheese options, but if you want copycat Chipotle tacos, I recommend sticking with the recipe.
Love Tacos? Here Are Some More Delicious Taco Recipes:
- Grilled Mahi Mahi Tacos
- Navajo Tacos with Homemade Fry Bread
- Easy Shrimp Tacos with Homemade Slaw
- 10-Minute Spicy Shrimp Tacos
- Locos Tacos in a Bag
- Kalua Pork Tacos with Fresh Mango Salsa
- Grilled Chicken Tacos with Bacon
- Grilled Steak Street Tacos
- Thai Fish Tacos
How to Make Chipotle Tacos
over the top tasty!
- Filet the chicken so you have two thin halves of each breast. Mix together the taco seasoning and paprika and rub it all over the chicken. Grill over medium heat til you get nice grill marks and the chicken is fully cooked. Remove chicken from grill and chop it into one inch cubes.
- Warm your crispy taco shells, either in the microwave or oven (it makes them more crispy). Then layer each one with chopped chicken, salsa, lettuce, cheese, and sour cream.
- Outdoor BBQ Grill