Grilled Mahi Mahi Tacos
If you’ve read Favorite Family Recipes for any length of time, you know that we loved our fish tacos around here. We simply can’t get enough of them! We probably have enough fish taco recipes to have a different one every day of the summer. And believe me, I wouldn’t complain! These Mahi Mahi tacos are made with the freshest ingredients and powerful flavors. My family loves them, especially because they can dress up their tacos any way they like. We love grilling the fish on an outdoor grill, then serving our tacos alongside glasses of icy cold lemonade out on the patio. This really is the perfect summertime supper.
Tips for Flavorful Fish Tacos
- The biggest trick to perfect fish tacos is fresh fish! Get the freshest you possibly can. Fish markets have delicious options or even the fish counter in your grocery store.
- Mahi Mahi is a mild, flaky fish that is delicious to start with if you’re just getting familiar with fish tacos. Most grocery stores will carry it.
- If you can’t find fresh fish, go frozen! The ones at the grocery store that are packaged up and look fresh, probably aren’t. They have probably been frozen before. Ask the people in your meat department if they had been previously frozen. If they have, ask for filets that are STILL frozen and then go home and keep them frozen until you are ready to thaw them.
- You can also find frozen filets at Costco or Sam’s Club that are really tasty! Find them in the freezer section. Generally they’re frozen individually so they stay nice and fresh.
- Another big tip for perfect fish tacos is the way the fish is prepared. We always go the grilling route. The fish takes on a smoky flavor that is just mouthwatering! You could grill it on an indoor grill too, or broil in the oven.
- Keep things spicy by adding jalapeno, garlic, chili powder and lime to your fish filets. So delicious!
- The beauty of fish tacos is how versatile they are. We set up a long buffet of toppings so everyone can dress their dish up any way they like. We love shredded cabbage, salsa, sour cream, grilled corn, cilantro, avocado, onion, feta cheese, and pico de gallo.
More Fish Taco Recipes
Feeling fish tacos more than one night this week? Try some of these favorite recipes:
- Thai Fish Tacos
- Easy Shrimp Tacos with Homemade Slaw
- Halibut Tacos
- Fiesta Fish Taco Bowls
- Easy Fish Taco Recipe
How to Make Grilled Mahi Mahi Tacos
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Place fish in a medium size dish and sprinkle with Kosher salt. Whisk together the oil, lime juice, chili powder, cumin, jalapeno, garlic, oregano and cilantro and pour over the fish. Let marinate for about 20 minutes.
- Remove the fish from the marinade place onto a hot grill (flesh side down if flesh is still on). Grill the fish for 7-8 minutes on the first side (or until fish is just opaque) and then flip for 30 seconds and remove. Let rest for 5 minutes then flake the fish with a fork.
- Place the tortillas on the grill and grill for a few seconds. Place fish on tortillas and garnish with any or all of the garnishes.
- Outdoor Barbecue Grill