These Shrimp Tacos are piled high with tasty, plump shrimp, homemade slaw and tangy cilantro dressing layered in warm corn tortillas. A healthy, easy summer supper or the perfect party food!
This delicious shrimp taco recipe was a favorite when we lived in California. Our cousins, Cory and Kristen made these for us and we were blown away! The crunchy homemade coleslaw combined with sweet and tangy cilantro dressing and perfect pink shrimp all wrapped in soft tortillas make the best shrimp tacos I have ever had! We make them all the time during the summer, since it doesn’t require much cooking. Sometimes we grill the shrimp on our outdoor grill instead of cooking on the stove, which adds a smoky flavor to this delicious dish. They’re the perfect dinner to whip up any night of the week!
Tips for Cooking the Perfect Shrimp
- Shrimp cooks up quickly and easily, but there are a few things to remember when making the perfect plump shrimp.
- Make sure to rinse the shrimp well before cooking. Place them in a colander or strainer, and wash thoroughly with cold water. Toss out any shrimp that look slimy, discolored or smell overly fishy.
- If you’re using frozen shrimp. run them under cool water to thaw. Don’t use hot water!
- The key to not over cooking is to remove them from the heat right when they turn pink, with no brown or grey spots.
- Perfectly cooked shrimp curls into a loose “C” shape. You’ll know they’re overcooked if they curl into a tight “C”. Overcooked shrimp can become too tough or chewy.
- You can buy shrimp that has already been peeled and deveined to make the cooking process go a little quicker.
- You’ll want to cook these shrimp quickly so they don’t dry out before assembling the tacos.
Additional Toppings for Shrimp Tacos
Tangy coleslaw and cilantro dressing give these shrimp tacos big bursts of flavor, but you could also add slices of avocado, a dollop of sour cream, diced green onions or chopped tomatoes. Or use crunchy taco shells for an added crunch. The possibilities are endless!
More Delicious Shrimp Recipes
Shrimp is easy to cook and as versatile as chicken! Try these little tender bites in some of our very favorite recipes:
- Shrimp Alfredo Pasta
- Shrimp Po Boys with Creamy Cajun Sauce
- Creamy Cajun Shrimp Pasta
- Cajun Shrimp Foil Packs
- Shrimp Taco Bites with Cilantro Cream Sauce
- Shrimp Pasta Salad
Easy Shrimp Tacos with Homemade Slaw
- Stove Top
- Fry Pan/Skillet
CILANTRO AVOCADO SAUCE:
- In a small fry pan, heat the corn tortillas in a little bit of oil and lightly salt.
OREGANO LIME SLAW:
- Toss all ingrendients together and season with a pinch of salt.
CILANTRO AVOCADO SAUCE:
- Mix all ingredients thoroughly in a blender.
- Peel shrimp, pat it dry, season with salt, pepper, and sugar. Heat oil over medium high heat and add shrimp. Cook until shrimp are curled and pink.
- Layer the shrimp, cabbage, and sauce in a warm corn tortilla. Top with a little cotija (or feta) cheese.