This Filet Mignon is the best melt-in-your-mouth recipe ever! Tender, juicy and covered with a smooth, tangy blue cheese sauce, this steak is perfection.
Grilling Filet Mignon
- I always get my filets at Costco. They’re a little spendy but really good quality there. If you’re unsure of what to look for, ask the butcher at your grocery store for help in finding the perfect filets.
- Make sure the filets are at room temperature before grilling. This helps the meat not seize up during the cooking process.
- Use a good dry rub! The recipe card below gives you all the ingredients needed for perfect flavor.
- I like to use an outdoor grill to cook the filet mignon. Make sure it’s cooked over medium heat until they’re done how you like them. Please don’t overcook this steak! It tastes so much better with a pink center.
- Use a meat thermometer to check your meat. A medium rare steak should be around 130-135 degrees; medium will be under 145 and medium well should be no hotter than 155 degrees.
- You can also cook the steak indoors. Using an oven safe skillet, sear the meat using butter or oil on the stove top until there’s a nice crust on both sides (no more than a couple of minutes each side), then transfer to the oven and bake at 400 degrees until the meat thermometer shows the desired doneness of your steak.
Best Sauce for Filet Mignon
Once your filet mignon is done to perfection, top it with this rich, smooth blue cheese sauce. It’s so easy to make and really elevates this dish to restaurant quality! Just combine some mayo, sour cream and Worcestershire sauce in a small sauce pan and melt on the stove. Then remove from heat and add some tangy blue cheese crumbles. They’ll melt ever so slightly into the sauce, yum! Drizzle over your filets and be prepared to be blown away by the flavors!
What to Serve with a Steak Dinner
The filet is really the star of the show no matter what, but try some of these delectable side dishes to really make your meal special:
- Loaded Mashed Potatoes
- Sweet Sauteed Asparagus
- Best Creamed Spinach
- Creamed Peas and Potatoes
- Parmesan Baked Potato Halves
- Oven Roasted Green Beans
How to Cook Filet Mignon
- Let the filets rest out of the refrigerator for 30-40 minutes prior to grilling (helps keep the meat tender...if you apply heat to chilled meat it shocks it & causes it to toughen up).
- In the mean time, mix together all the dry rub ingredients. It will make more than you need, you can save the extra mix in the pantry.
- When the filets are brought to room temperature, rub the spice mixture generously onto each piece.
- Grill over medium heat to desired doneness (again, PLEASE do not over cook, it will taste best with a pink center).
- In a saucepan over low heat combine mayonnaise, sour cream and Worcestershire sauce. Stir until smooth and warmed. Remove from heat and stir in the blue cheese crumbles. Serve over your filet mignon or on the side for dipping.
- Outdoor BBQ Grill